when I convert .avi to .roq, the quality is terrible!

I'm trying to make an .roq video out of some clips I have in .avi form. Everything looks fine on the movie preview and the preview of each scene in QVM (Quake Video Maker). But when I go to generate the movie and make the .roq, the quality of the video goes down the toilet!

I understand the video is going to look pixelated in an .roq, as I'm downsizing the resolution from 800 x 600 to 512x384. But that's not the problem. The color gets really messed up, turning to a tannish black/white and there's all sorts of artifacts all over the video.

I suspect it may have something to do with the .avi codec I'm using, which is a version of Microsoft Video 1. But I want to have a more clear idea of what's causing this, as for me to re-shoot videos and compile them into an .roq just for testing is fairly time consuming!

Thanks for any help!

Are you first editing the avi in some other program like Vegas? Stupid question----> What did you set the quality to when you compiled the .roq in QVM? Did you leave on smoothing and brightness correction?

No, I'm not editing the .avi at all first. And when I compiled, I tried setting the quality to the lowest possible, as well as towards the higher end, with those options checked and unchecked. Didn't seem to make a difference as far as I could tell.

theres several codecs you can download for free, divx, xvid, CCpack, etc, but some didint work for me, it all depends on the compression ratio

I'm guessing you mean "didn't work" as in they messed up when you put them into an .roq file right? As the .avi videos I have look fine in QVM before I put them into an .roq file.