About This File
OpenJK is an effort by the JACoders group to maintain and improve the game engines on which the Jedi Academy (JA) and Jedi Outcast (JO) games run on, while maintaining full backwards compatibility with the existing games. This project does not attempt to rebalance or otherwise modify core gameplay.
Our aims are to:
- Improve the stability of the engine by fixing bugs and improving performance.
- Provide a clean base from which new JO and JA code modifications can be made.
- Make available this engine to more operating systems. To date, we have releases on Windows, Linux and macOS.
The JKHub sub-forum is a better place for support queries, discussions, and feature requests. Bug reports and major issues should be posted in the Issues section on GitHub.
OpenJK is licensed under GPLv2 as free software. You are free to use, modify and redistribute OpenJK following the terms in LICENSE.txt.
To install OpenJK, you will first need Jedi Academy installed. If you don't already own the game you can buy it from online stores such as Steam or GOG.
Video instructions for installing OpenJK for Jedi Academy:
Installing and running OpenJK on Windows
- Download OpenJK for Windows above.
- Extract or copy/paste the contents of the zip file into the Jedi Academy GameData/ folder. For Steam users, by default this will be in C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/Jedi Academy/GameData.
- Download and install Visual C++ Redistributable 2015 found here. You'll need the x86 version, unless it still gives an error, then try the x64 version as well.
- Run openjk.x86.exe.
- [Optional] Right click exe and go to "Send to" > Desktop (create shortcut) to put a shortcut on your desktop.
Installing OpenJK on Linux
If you do not have a windows partition and need to download the game base.
- Download and Install SteamCMD SteamCMD .
- Set the download path using steamCMD, force_install_dir .
- Using SteamCMD Set the platform to windows to download any windows game on steam. @sSteamCmdForcePlatformType "windows"
- Using SteamCMD download the game, app_update 6020.
- Download OpenJK for Linux above.
- Extract the contents of the file into the Jedi Academy GameData/ folder. For Steam users, this will be in <Steam Folder>/steamapps/common/Jedi Academy/GameData.
Installing OpenJK on macOS
Follow this tutorial. Support for Intel & Apple Silicon (M1, M2 chips) via Universal 2.
OpenJK on GitHub
Contributing to OpenJK
- Fork the project on GitHub
- Create a new branch and make your changes
- Send a pull request to upstream (JACoders/OpenJK)
Using OpenJK as a base for a new mod
- Fork the project on GitHub
- Change the GAMEVERSION define in codemp/game/g_local.h from "OpenJK" to your project name
- If you make a nice change, please consider back-porting to upstream via pull request as described above. This is so everyone benefits without having to reinvent the wheel for every project.
Maintainers (in alphabetical order)
Significant contributors (in alphabetical order)
THIS FILE IS NOT MADE, DISTRIBUTED, OR SUPPORTED BY ACTIVISION PUBLISHING, INC., RAVEN SOFTWARE, OR LUCASARTS ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY, LLC. ELEMENTS™ & © LUCASFILM LTD.™ & DISNEY, INC.™ AND/OR ITS LICENSORS. STAR WARS®, JEDI®, & JEDI KNIGHT® ARE REGISTERED TRADEMARKS OF LUCASFILM LTD™ AND WALT DISNEY, INC.™ STAR WARS®, JEDI®, & JEDI KNIGHT® ARE REGISTERED TRADEMARKS OF LUCASFILM LTD™ & DISNEY, INC.™
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!Register a new account
Already have an account? Sign in here.Sign In Now