Overwriting textures and models in an existing conversion mod, how to make it work?

So I am doing a huge project on reskinning and re-modeling the Escape Yavin IV mod. I have replaced all of the textures so far, as well as changed all of the player models to only OT-era characters, including many alien types. I will also be changing all of the music as my next step.

However, I'm encountering an issue specifically when trying to load the maps under their new textures. All of the textures have the same dimensions, some have been scaled up or down for better texture detail. 

Here's how I dissected the ey4.pk3:

I made a folder called assets editor and put everything in there from ey4,

OecZqyx.jpg

The issue is that when I transfer the texture folder with all the new textures to the pk3, it won't allow me to overwrite them because it already has an existing folder named textures

so naturally I deleted the folder in the original ey4.pk3, then copied the new textures folder (which is basically the same as the old one just with new images), it loads in there thats fine

now when I boot up JK3 with the modified ey4.pk3 in the base folder, the escape yavin IV mod doesn't work, the levels won't load, the menu isn't there, ditto, nothing works.

It's like having a vestigial pk3 in the base that doesn't do anything, all I have is the plain old boring vanilla base game.

Why does it not accept the textures folder?

It accepts the models and ext_data folders so that I made new models for all existing npcs in the mod but it will not load with new textures, please help.

• 3 weeks later...

If the mod uses it's own folder in the GameData folder, you just treat that folder as another base folder. For example, pk3s loaded from /GameData/base will be loaded when you launch the mod (EY4) AND also load any pk3 you put in the EY4 folder. If you want to replace things in the mod, you can make a pk3 to do so, but you must put it in the EY4 folder for it to overwrite, and also make sure the file name of the new pk3 comes after the pk3s alphabetically (so just put z at the beginning of the name).

Don't put the new pk3 in the base folder. It needs to go in the mod's folder. Especially if you're actually replacing the original PK3. Same place you took it from.