What is 4k and can jk2/jka be displayed in it?

4k just means 3840x2160, really should be called 3.84k.  There is also another standard, mainly used in film making that's 4096 × 2160.  If you have a monitor that will support 4k, sure you can use it.  Just run the command arg options to set custom resolution. eg:

openjk.x86.exe + set r_customWidth "3840" + set r_customHeight "2160" +set r_mode -1

EDIT: As a note, if you have a native desktop resolution of 4k then just running +set r_mode -2 should work fine.

Smoo likes this

JKG Developer

It's the pixels of the resolution. 1080p is 1920 pixels by 1080 pixels. 4k is the short name for 3840 pixels.

More pixels = better quality (usually). If you have a 4k tv/monitor, you probably notice the 1080p resolution looking a bit fuzzy, and raising it to the above dimensions should help that.

Though it won't improve the quality of the game itself, just the size of the rendered window.

Somebody should remake all the texture assets for jka in 4k though, that'd be fun. :D

Guess I have  an apple 30-inch Cinema Display from 2010 that is 2560×1440 resolution.

Guess it's time for upgrade soon

Why?  4k isn't really all that necessary yet.  1080p is still fine imo and will be for another 2-4 years...

JKG Developer

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3018710/hardware/dell-unveils-stunning-4k-oled-ultrasharp-display-and-declares-war-on-bezels.html

How about this monitor from Dell

Let the 4K OLED monitor wars begin. Dell formerly unwrapped its first OLED panel Wednesday morning at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.

Promising true black levels, off the hook contrast levels, and gorgeous colors, the Dell UltraSharp 30 UP3017Q brings the OLED magic at a price that’s actually a bargain for an OLED UltraHD 4K panel—it’s $4,999.

That may seem like the price of a used car, but when you consider the only other 30-inch UltraHD 4K panel that we know of is the studio-grade Sony BVMX300 at $18,000, maybe it’s not so bad. To be fair to Sony, its panel is an HDR monitor.

Depends on what you do with it. If you only play JKA or old games, there's not much point in getting 4k. The screen you have would be fine.

But if you're playing a lot of modern games or do stuff with video and graphics, 4k is recommended.

Do you need OLED? Seems extremely unnecessary for gaming, imo. Eventually that will be standard and much cheaper. Why not wait until then? Just seems really overkill to me.

Though you might be loaded, which would make a lot more sense, in that case.

But idk what you're wanting to use it for still, so I can't say much else.

I was kind of joking about the OLED comp monitor actually..

PLAYSTATION 4 PRO REVIEW: 4K GAMING IS HERE Is $399 for 4K gaming too good to be true?

http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/9/13572236/sony-playstation-4-pro-review-4k

The upshot of all that power? Well, if you have a 4K TV, and if the game you want to play has been updated to take advantage of the PS4 Pro’s power, it means better graphics. In some cases, much better graphics. I can confidently say, after playing a handful of optimized titles, that 4K gaming is real, it's wonderful, and it makes the PS4 Pro just about the best $399 you can spend on gaming hardware this year.

The PS4 Pro is big. In fact, it's bigger than the original PS4, although not quite as bulky as the original Xbox One. It even has a larger PC-style plug in the back, although there's thankfully no power brick. It also has one extra USB plug, but you still can’t install games to an external hard drive like you can with the Xbox One.

Inside the PS4 Pro is a "double-sized" version of the original PS4's GPU, which runs at a faster clock speed. The CPU and RAM are also running faster, and there's an extra 1GB of RAM available for applications to keep the 8GB of GDDR5 RAM mostly free for games. These improvements add up to 4.2 teraflops, making the PS4 Pro 2.28 times faster than the PS4 on paper. All these faster components generate a lot of heat, which blasts out of the back of the system, but at least the fans don't seem much louder than a typical PS4 or Xbox One.

When you boot up the PS4 Pro you'll land in the PS4 System Software 4.0, which is already available on regular PS4s, and is a major redesign of the PlayStation interface if you haven't used a PlayStation recently. But most notable for this review, the user-interface is all in 4K, which is refreshing after playing with so many "4K" televisions that don't even bother to ship with a 4K UI. Some of the icons and graphics are still the 1080p versions, which is obvious when you're sitting a few feet away from a big 4K TV, but all the text and "chrome" of the UI is perfectly sharp.

The system has 802.11ac Wi-Fi — a nice step up from the original PS4’s 2.4GHz, 802.11n Wi-Fi — which is helpful if you want to download a full 50GB game instead of buying and installing a disc like a luddite. It also includes the newly redesigned controller that’s already shipping with the slim PS4, which lights up the touchpad slightly, and has a few matte accents.

4K is four times as many pixels as 1080p, the resolution of the typical HDTV the original PS4 was designed for. The PS4 Pro is twice as fast as a PS4, not four times as fast, which leaves an obvious question: where do all those extra pixels come from? Well, tricks, mostly. One primary way developers can turn their regular 1080p games into 4K is called "checkerboard rendering." For instance, that's how Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare works. And can I just say something? It looks great. It looks really, really great.

See, 4K TVs are nearing on ubiquity, but we still have very few "true" 4K sources of content. Netflix streaming is possibly the worst possible way to take advantage of a 4K TV, because the video is so compressed you're basically just getting a front row seat to compression artifacts and tortured film grain. A locally rendered game in 4K, however, even with checkerboard rendering, looks perfectly crisp. Every pixel seems in its place and accounted for, and I just think it looks wonderful.

Even a slightly older game, like Shadow of Mordor, looks great. You can see every chunk of simple geometry, and the low-resolution textures are obvious, but the 4K output resolution makes the overall scene so damned crisp that it looks nearly as good as its modern competition.

One caveat I should mention: I did most of my testing of the PS4 a few feet away from an enormous 4K TV. If you're at a recommended viewing distance and slouched into a couch, the 4K effect might not be as noticeable. Maybe the Xbox One S’s 4K upscaling is "good enough" for those situations, but I’m partial to how sharp these games look on the Pro.

Not every game will be rendered in 4K, of course. And very few games will manage a "native" 4K resolution, like you can get on a modern PC. First off, developers will have to optimize their games specifically for the Pro to see any improvement at all. At lot of games have been promised, but so far there are very few titles with live patches. Developers who do optimize their game can add a "PS4 Pro Enhanced" sticker to the game box, but it'll still require some homework to know exactly what has been enhanced. Games can render in 4K, or simply upscale to 4K, or ship with improved graphics at 1080p, or increase the frame rate, or some combination or choice of all of the above.

...continued

Depends on what you do with it. If you only play JKA or old games, there's not much point in getting 4k. The screen you have would be fine.

But if you're playing a lot of modern games or do stuff with video and graphics, 4k is recommended.

Actually, if you're playing modern games the graphics are typically too expensive to render in 4k, but if you play old games on a modern graphics card you should have some performance to spare for higher resolutions.