Creating a new gun model*

Hi, I've been adding a lot of new guns and grenades in to my variation of OpenJK single player and I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out how to get a working new gun model with the right direction and textures, etc.  Is there a full guide out for gun making, and how to get the full .MD3 and .GLM in game?  I've seen a lot of new guns being added but I can't seem to figure it out myself.  :/  Any help would be great.  I've got the gun modeled and textured and the *flash tag added, but does it or the gun need weighting or to be parented to one another?  And how do I get a working .MD3.  I have about every plug-in related for 3ds max 2010 but something always goes wrong.  Haha.

This would be better off in the Modding Assistance forum but as far as direction goes it has been some time since I've messed with guns. It generally depends on the origin in world or the tag_parent which is generally not needed since the origin of the model can be used instead. The view model is a MD3 but OpenJK can use GLM as well and the world model is a GLM model. The process is pretty similar to a lightsaber as far as the exporting to game with the exception of world and view model. View model is the model seen by the player while being held in first person view btw.

If you have the plugins for 3DS Max then why not just import one of the games stock gun models to use as a comparison?