GTKRadiant Compile Error

Buz

ERROR:safe_malloc failed on allocation of <hugenumber> bytes

I've googled the error many many times. Each time I get somewhat of a different answer. I know it's because I've ran out of memory.

I also know it can be caused by too many lights. So i've deleted quite a few and still got the error. I've set all necessary brushes to detail brushes and everything but still get the error. I'm running GTK Radiant 1.5, I still have yet to try compiling it in 1.4...

Any suggestions would be helpful. Right now all I can think about doing is testing it in 1.4 or deleting all of my lights and seeing what happens when I compile, lol.

EDIT: I deleted all my lights and re-added new ones (tried to keep the number of lights slim) but I still get the same error.

• 2 weeks later...

You can also try these things:

- make sure that all the surfaces that player won't see in game are covered with Caulk texture (textures/system/caulk);

- you can try to increase _lightmapscale (select worldspawn enter key _lightmapscale

and value higher than 1 (1 is default), but it can reduce shadow quality;

- you can try to increase _gridsize (select worldspawn, enter key _gridsize and value, for example 128 128 256, default is 64 64 128);

- you can try to turn off programs which runs in background for the time while you're compiling your map to free more memory (for example antivirus, internet browser. Do it only if you know what you are doing);

- you can try to compile light stage without -fast and with -lowmem (if I remember it right). Though I tried to do it a few times and it gave me some strange shadows...

Well the Caulk texture always helped me in such cases... If you tried it all and it didn't help, then you can try to change your level's design and make it smaller or less detailed.