How to get started with playing online?

So after playing JKA single player through for the bazillionth time, I was thinking of finally checking out multiplayer for once. I know a bit about how the server itself works, as well as how to  connect both from the menu and the console (/connect [ip address] which will try to connect through port 29070 on the ip given), but I dont know of any servers to connect to. Do most people just set up a home server running Jedi Academy, and them distribute the ip address?

Is there a server out there that many people on JKHub like to frequent? I was thinking of giving siege or CTF a whirl first if I can.

Smoo likes this

Do most people just set up a home server running Jedi Academy, and then distribute the ip address?

You can use IP addresses for specific servers, or the in-game server list and join menu in general. Refresh the list each time before selecting a new server, so you're up-to-date on what's happening on the server.

It's important that you keep an eye on the map currently loaded in the server (second? column). If you don't have the map listed, you will not be able to join. Also, if the server is locked (features a lock icon), you will need to obtain the password for that server (usually from their website or forums). These are private, more close-knit servers, and not open to the general public.

Tip: You can also search for other players logged in if you know their in-game alias, and you can follow them to the server they are in -- in the bottom menu.

I recommend using the latest OpenJK build of Jedi Academy, for added stability/performance/feature benefits, but you can use the latest version of the retail JKA distribution as well.

Smoo likes this

Why not just look at the server browser? That's kind of the point of it. You don't need to manually connect to an IP unless it's hidden from the master server. Once you find servers you like to frequent, add them to your favorites list in the menu. Pretty straightforward.

Smoo and BruceJohnJenner like this