Problem with gtk and jka

Didn't know whether to post this in JKA suppor or general.... so i posted here because it said general :|

Ok so, I downloaded gtk radiant 1.5 because I want to get into mapping, but as i followed the beginning tutorial I encountered a problem. When I got to the part where you open a map, I clicked open in gtk and there was nothing in the maps folder. I can see hidden files and everything but there was nothung in the maps folder.

All of the maps I download are in .pk3 files, but gtk looks for .map or .reg (I think) files, but for some reason i don't have any in the maps folder. (Even base maps) help?

I got jka off of steam.

gtk's path to jka is:

C:/program files/steam/steamapps/common/jedi academy

On a side note, the mapping tutorials were kinda jumbled up in order. The beginning one was towards the bottom.

When a map is compiled, it's compiled as a .bsp, the actual map's source file is a .map.

The game does not include .map files because they're not even needed, they're essentially just project files for GTK Radiant (or another map editor in other cases)

tl;dr you don't just open maps, you make them, save them and then open them later, unless I'm misunderstanding you here.

If you want to edit some of the original JKA maps or a map someone has already made, you'll have to decompile it, which is a messy business that I don't suggest you bother with.

A few of the base maps have been included as part of a packaged deal with GTKRadiant (go nosing around C:\Program Files (x86)\Lucasarts\... if you want to see them, though I wouldn't hold your breath as GTKRadiant 1.4 and down have been known to cause severe issues with Win7/Steam copies of JA due to people not knowing how to code things properly)

Also, which gtk radiant would you suggest for me to use. (i have 1.5, but i have tried 1.4)

I believe MUG uses version 1.3.13 or something like that, forgot why.

Aye, I use 1.3.12 as I find it to be the most stable and least laggy, but you should be fine using whichever version you prefer with my tutorials, so long as you follow all the steps relating to saving and such carefully.