About sabersystems mod existing on the web.

Well I wanted to know which one is your favorite sabersystem on the web and why.

Mine currently is EoCIII Remastered, at least until EoC IV release.

I have tried MBII aswell, but I find it's saber collision system is not as solid as EoCIII.

I have read aswell about OJP Enhanced, but I haven't tried. I guess EoC is based on OJP since some of the EoC docs are OJP docs, but I don't know exactly what features does EoCIII retains from OJP.

So, If anyone knows about one or more of this sabersystems and can give me his/her opinion about them, I would be pleased.

Personally I loved the saber system that was being developed for Jedi Knight Galaxies. It was just a beta version, with just one saber style, but felt more movie-like to me than the one in MBII. Probably the fact that you could respawn infinitely helped a lot to make it feel more active, and less focused on an impassable defense. Haven't tried the saber systems in EoC or OJP, so can't comment on them.

Man, I never had the ocassion to try Jedi Knight Galaxies sabersystem. And fuck, they stopped developing it. You can look for EoCIII in moddb, I highly recommend it. I find it more engaging than MBII, since MBII had a lot of random bp loss. For sure that for someone really experimented it wasn't random, but I felt like I couldn't hand the animation issues, the saber collision seemed random to me, and it was not intuitive. For me it seemed like you HAD TO KNOW how the collision system worked and how to get advantage of some unnatural animations to play it. Absolutely not worth of the name it has. Not even near to the movie saber fighting.

About OJP I didn't try, but I always had curiosity. EoCIII is fine. It features a manual blocking that is cool, but the problem is that mblock can be used to spam attack and ignore saber collision. I hope they fix that.

Here you go a link to EoC/Serenity Sabersystem
http://www.moddb.com/mods/serenitysabersystems/
However, there is a remastered version of the mod done by a fan, which is the one I play. Here you go aswell.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/evolution-of-combat-iii-remastered

Now both of the modders, the original's author and the one that made the remake, are working together to launch a fourth version.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/evolution-of-combat-iv/

And here you go a video featuring saber combat in EoC III

About OJP I know nearly nothing. I don't know if it is related to Open Jedi Knight but I guess it is the saber system developed for the same people that started OJK.

I think EoCIII is, aswell, a modification made over OJP Enhanced, but I am not completely sure.

One of the things I like about EoC project is that he is currently working to expand the existing styles frome 7 to 10 in the next version, including the Galen Marek style, and trying to add aswell double staff wielding, or staff + simple saber. I am trying to contact him in order to know if he can do some new fencing-like animations, to include them as a makashi-style.

I encourage you to try EoCIII system, although I want to hear about more sabersystems and argumentations defending or attacking MBII or EoC sabersystem.

Another question. Is there any posibility that JKGalaxies comes back? I had such a hype with that modification that I even used the word JKGalaxies somewhere as a password X'DDDD

Base MP is my favourite. Base SP is also solid, but it can be a bit silly sometimes.

MP counts as a mod because it's not available without cheats, and does require some very small fixes to work well :> I'd say it's the least-played system of all.

Well I don't really like base MP since it doesn't include a blocking system. I don't know even if it has autoblock, I think it doesnt. Is a completely hack n' slash system, no skill required, just spam attacks and try to dodge by running. Not the kind of stuff I like, but well, each one has it's own preferences, and I can't judge.

What I can affirm is that mp is not a mod. Of course is availiable without cheats. Is as simply as click jamp.exe, and there you go. Having a different code than sp, doesn't mean it is a mod. Anything that comes with the own game IS NOT A MOD. A mod is a modification over the vanilla source given by a company. Yes, it could be considered a mod of the SP code, but since they have almost the same source and adds no extra content, it is not a modification. In fact, I didnt felt any difference between the sp and the mp system, although mp is the least played of all, as you say. But hell, it must be for a reason.

You can look for EoCIII in moddb, I highly recommend it.

There is an "advertising" section on JKHUB if you really want to promote EoC III. Your post make me feel like a "disguised ad" :D (don't take that badly)

I find it more engaging than MBII, since MBII had a lot of random bp loss. For sure that for someone really experimented it wasn't random, but I felt like I couldn't hand the animation issues, the saber collision seemed random to me, and it was not intuitive. For me it seemed like you HAD TO KNOW how the collision system worked and how to get advantage of some unnatural animations to play it. Absolutely not worth of the name it has. Not even near to the movie saber fighting.

That is fun. I am a player of OJP, and I tested EoC III. For me, it's EoC III who seemed completely random :lol:

I am not highly skilled with OJP but I know enough to have fun and understand sabersystem.

OJP was never completed. It has bugs, and the sabersystem is not totally perfect.

The major difference with EoC III is that OJP is that  OJP is strategic, based on reflexes and on mathematics.

Yes, mathematics : you have a dodge bar, a force bar and a mishap bar. You know that if you walk, a blaster shot takes you X points of dodge, and if you run, it takes you Y points of dodge. You know that if you block a Makashi hit, you lose X' points of dodge. If you parry it, you lose Y' points of dodge. If you are full Mishap, you know that if you are parried, you will lose your saber. OJP has removed the random side of JKA. It was not perfect, but it was a good step.

When I tried EoC III, I saw that EoC was based on the same dodge/mishap system... but EoC doesn't display  these bars (there is just a force bar, and a strange icon for gunners).  I didnot know what was exactly my situation, how many shots I could parry. That is why EoC seemed random to me.

EoC has a lot of good features, and add several new weapons and force powers, but I find the OJP sabersystem is better because I can calculate my hits. There is no random.

I am waiting for EoC IV to see if Serenity will correct his work and give a better sabersystem or keep the actual one of EoC III.

Hels likes this

There is an "advertising" section on JKHUB if you really want to promote EoC III. Your post make me feel like a "disguised ad" :D (don't take that badly)

That is fun. I am a player of OJP, and I tested EoC III. For me, it's EoC III who seemed completely random :lol:

I am not highly skilled with OJP but I know enough to have fun and understand sabersystem.

OJP was never completed. It has bugs, and the sabersystem is not totally perfect.

The major difference with EoC III is that OJP is that  OJP is strategic, based on reflexes and on mathematics.

Yes, mathematics : you have a dodge bar, a force bar and a mishap bar. You know that if you walk, a blaster shot takes you X points of dodge, and if you run, it takes you Y points of dodge. You know that if you block a Makashi hit, you lose X' points of dodge. If you parry it, you lose Y' points of dodge. If you are full Mishap, you know that if you are parried, you will lose your saber. OJP has removed the random side of JKA. It was not perfect, but it was a good step.

When I tried EoC III, I saw that EoC was based on the same dodge/mishap system... but EoC doesn't display  this bars (there is just a force bar, and a strange icon for gunners).  I didnot know what was exactly my situation, how many shots I could parry. That is why EoC seemed random to me.

EoC has a lot of good features, and add several new weapons and force powers, but I find the OJP sabersystem is best because I can calculate my hits. There is no random.

Let's start from the beginning. No, I don't want to advertise EoCIII although I find it mostly engaging. Well... EoCIII is strategic aswell. There WAS a problem with the hud but...

2015-07-23_00003.jpg

TADAAAAAA! It was solved with the remastered version. In order to have it you must look into the setup menu until you find where to change it to "Enhanced HUD". If it was that your only problem to play EoC, well, I have to say it is solved. But that's not what I want to know. What I want to know is if you felt like every single feature of the OJP system was into the EoC or not. Problem with EoC is that IT LACKS A MANUAL. In fact I had to look over a OJP manual to understand some things about EoCIII. That and what I told you about mblocking being able to spam attacks are the problems I found.

All the mathematic features you told about OJP are included into EoC. Problem is that I don't exactly know if the ratios are the same that in OJP, since I didnt tried. Reading the manual, aswell, I found that in OJP there was a feature that by clicking attack + alt-attack, you could do a more strong swing. I don't know if that thing still stays in EoCIII.

Another problem is that EoC III doesn't say how to install the server plugin to play online -.- It's highly annoying, you know. I hope it's developer can tell me something this weekend (I pmed him, and he said he wouldn't have time to reply me till this weekend) about the doubts, but he seems to be so much busy developing EoC IV that I can't tell if he will be able to reply me this weekend.

When I first played EoC, I had the same issue as you. I was completely lost because i didn't knew when I was going to die. Seemed random. But I can assure you that know, that is completely fixed with that new HUD. Okay, it is pretty ugly, but functional. If you give it a try if you want, and tell me what do you think of EoC III in comparition to OJP. I want to know how much close the saber system is to OJP so I know which features of OJP sabersystem manual I can use.

The manual block button is one of the major differences between ojp and the other mods like eoc or mbii.

Ojp was the first mod to implement the new sabersystem based on dodge/mishap. The first versions have a manual block button. Mbii took parts of ojp and EoC was directly built on these early versions.

Then, after a lot of tests, the ojp team removed the manual block button i latest versions in favor of an autoblock with blocks and parries based on the movement. The problem was that players were too much focused on the block button: beginners were always in defense mode, attzcking time to time, and duels fely strange. Their new system allows to be fully focused in the duel and on moves rather than on blocking. It's more technic because you must watch how your opponent hit to correctly parry him.

EoC and Mbii keep the block button because players feel safer when they can press a button to defend themselves. However, I don't know if mbii or eoc implemented the movement to parry correctly. I am not expert of these mods.

thanks,

and please Serenity, maybe you will release EoC IV with an installer, but please release a manual installation too ! (just a zip with all assets).

I don't like to use windows installer for mods.

• 2 weeks later...

Now both of the modders, the original's author and the one that made the remake, are working together to launch a fourth version.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/evolution-of-combat-iv/

We're holding a BETA from the 17th October if anyone is interested in trying. Spaces are limited and running out pretty quick so I'd recommend you register ASAP if interested.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/evolution-of-combat-iv/news/eociv-beta-announcement

It would be great to get some people from this topic on the BETA as you obviously have a good knowledge of different mods and saber systems.

For everyone interested in the features of EoCIV, keep an eye on our ModDB page, we're posting regular previews of the new features over there.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/evolution-of-combat-iv