Mapping: safe_malloc failed on allocation of 155713536 bytes

Yea, I am running into this error whenever I try compiling my map, just during the lightmap stage. I saw some other topics and this:http://jkhub.org/files/file/1335-q3map2-2gb-memory-usage/ However, There really isn't any clear installation instructions on what goes where. There is a old installation instruction doesn't seem to be working for me. I assume I am doing it wrong and probably putting it in the wrong location.

I was hoping someone who is experienced with this would be able to provide a more clear instruction since I am getting this wrong.

System specs (if needed):

RAM: 16GB RAM

Processor: i5-4670k

Video Card: GTX 660

Q3Map2 is running out of memory. This may be due to map complexity and/or using memory intensive compile options.

You're probably using a 32 bit build of Q3Map2 - that will run out of memory at 2GB. Since you have 8x that, I suggest you start by finding a 64 bit build - there's at least one out there, but I'm not going to go looking for it.

Q3Map2 is running out of memory. This may be due to map complexity and/or using memory intensive compile options.

You're probably using a 32 bit build of Q3Map2 - that will run out of memory at 2GB. Since you have 8x that, I suggest you start by finding a 64 bit build - there's at least one out there, but I'm not going to go looking for it.

I found a 64 bit version HERE, but there doesn't seem to be any clear installation instructions on the page or in the readme files. The only instructions are in the "Previous_Readme.txt" file and I am not finding the instructions clear. It states that it must sit it's own directory inside the game dir, but doesn't really say anything specific for JKA. Does it go in JKA's Gamedata? Base? Does it go in GTK Radiant's directory? What about the q3map2.exe? How can I compile using q3map2 while everything is in the game directory? Do I have to manually do it in cmd?

Alternatively, you can use the -lomem switch, which sacrifices compile time for more memory.

For the longest time I couldn't get that working for years... until today and you won't belive why... I feel really silly, but I kept putting in -lowmem and not -lomem XD. I feel like banging my head against the wall. It seems to be compiling now.

Perhaps if I can get a 64-bit version working, I can decrease the compile time and not depend on the -lomem switch. The recent compile took around 30-45 mins with -lomem, without it, Both map pieces combined took less than 10 mins.

eezstreet likes this

You can pretty much put it anywhere, you just need to adjust the paths in the Radiant project file(s); one way of doing it is described in this tutorial:

I tried following the tutorial, however I can't seem to get it working. I am probably doing something wrong. I changed the .proj files, I placed the q3map2 folder in the GTK directory as the tutorial said, but that didn't seem to change anything and it seems to act as the old q3map2.

I then tried replacing the q3map2.exe  in addition, and whenever it tried to compile (any and all stages), q3map2 itself crashes at the "--- LoadMapFile ---" stage. I tried making a dummy map (just 4 walls+ceiling+Floor and a info player start) and it compiled fine.