Swoops on Sith-J's Coruscant Underworld Map

Base, retail JK3 and OpenJK. (Multiplayer)

It just says that the swoop can't be spawned, even though a vehicle model by that name is present in the asset archives, and I have absolutely no third party vehicle mods installed.

ERROR: Couldn't spawn NPC swoop_mp2

So it's just me, then? It's very mysterious... I don't understand... :mellow:

Having cheats enabled doesn't seem to make a difference either.

I'm using the console in on the map to which a script is attached. Hitting up the spawn code produces the same error, though.

Thanks @@eezstreet, I'll check the .veh file. The model's there for sure.

For you guys, does pressing the terminal/console in-game on the swoop track on this map spawn a swoop successfully?

Maybe Sith J Cull made a mistake and put a NPC_spawner in place of a vehicle entity.

Should check the entities of the map.

Another problem is when you have a lot of .npc files (but without reaching the error message limit), a part of the npc files are not usable ingame. Don't know why.

Put several npc files in your base folder, then try to spawn a wampa, it will not work.

Cerez likes this
Another problem is when you have a lot of .npc files (but without reaching the error message limit), a part of the npc files are not usable ingame. Don't know why.

Put several npc files in your base folder, then try to spawn a wampa, it will not work.

Hmm... this could be it... I'll have to investigate...

Is there any way to get an NPC count from the game/engine through the command console?

i checked the entities : they are ok.

swoops spawn without problem when I use the button.

The problem is certainly your number of npc files.

When you have too much of them, the last npcs can not be spawned (z-95, x-wing, wampa, tuskens, ... from assets1.pk3)

Cerez likes this

Hmm... what's the maximum number of NPCs the game will load?

The funny thing is I only have player model characters in greater number (but still not that great) in my base folder. I guess they almost all have NPCs, but even so... that seems quite limited. I'll have to see, and count the number of NPCs in the PK3s...

Okay, @@Clan FJA, you're definitely on the right track. Further investigation reveals the following:

2qsxapk.png

That's a lot of "required strings" missing. Could that be the reason all NPCs are failing to spawn?

Moving all my custom mods out of base did make NPC spawning normal again, so it's either to do with the amount of NPCs I have (which is not that many, I checked), or with these brackets missing in an NPC file somewhere, I presume.

Any thoughts?

ok, so there is two different problems :

- the number of npc files. Just remove npc files you do not use from pk3 of your skins/maps

- the { or } which is missing in some npc files.  This is not necessary in the assets1.pk3. An other pk3 can overwrite the rancor npc file. You must check these files and correct them.

Thanks guys, managed to track it down. It was a syntax error in one of the player model NPC files. The NPC referencing name contained a space which threw the whole NPC reading off and caused all subsequent NPC loading to fail -- and therefore produced the "required string" reading errors shown in the screenshot. After removing the space everything's back to normal, and all my NPCs are loading properly.

RebelChum likes this