Weapon .Skin Files?

I've been experimenting with some new weapon models, and I was wondering if I could make a .skin file for a weapon .glm.  More specifically, I was attempting to switch "off" certain portions of the weapon model without having to edit the model itself.

Here's what the .skin file I made looks like

drum_mag,*off
barrel_hub,models/weapons2/heavy_repeater/m4.jpg
barrel,models/weapons2/heavy_repeater/m4.jpg
charging_handle,models/weapons2/heavy_repeater/m4.jpg
main_body,models/weapons2/heavy_repeater/m4.jpg
buttstock,models/weapons2/heavy_repeater/m4.jpg
scope,models/weapons2/heavy_repeater/scope.jpg
forward_sight,models/weapons2/heavy_repeater/m4.jpg
flash_suppressor,models/weapons2/heavy_repeater/m4.jpg
trigger,models/weapons2/heavy_repeater/m4.jpg
ejection_port,models/weapons2/heavy_repeater/m4.jpg
203_option,*off

After Making the file, I realized it didn't just "activate" by default.  Any advice would be great.

NumberWan likes this

@@eezstreet

Ah, alright.  Just thought I'd try because I noticed MBII used .skin files in a lot of their added weapons.  They must have programmed the mod to run that way.

Well, in that case, is there any way to just change surface shaders without actually editing the model?  By this I don't just mean making a new texture and naming it to replace the originals, I mean changing the path that the model surface uses to locate the texture.

For example, this weapon replaces the heavy repeater, so one surface on it has the path "models/weapons2/heavy_repeater/m203", with "m203.jpg" being the applied texture.  What would the easiest way be to make a separate copy of the .glm that has (for example) the path "models/weapons2/blaster_r/m4"

Edited by Vegeta

I tried to do that as well. Skins would have added a lot to the visual effect.

There are also some other objects, which can't be skinned as well, like turrets. At least all my attempts failed.

(though it is surely possible to create a version 2 md3 object, which won't work side by side with the original)

Vegeta likes this

Exactly my point.  I'm sure there's a simple way to make a copy of the model, and edit it so that it has a different shader path (similar to how textures and other features of a .bsp can still be edited even after it's compilation).  I may have to just retexture it through blender or something after all if that isn't the case.

@@Vegeta

I thought of an alternative - bu making several split pk3, which would be in the folders of mods. When you run a new map, a certain mod would be uploaded, thus replacing the weapons used in previous maps. E.g. if you have a city map, you have a Naboo heavy blaster, but when the new map of Geonosis is loading, this weapon is replaced with a Geonosian Sonic Blaster.

I've never managed to comprehend that, as a menu within the game can run many things, like music, switch models, lightsabers and maps. It must have some sort of mod loading system as well. In this case, the skin file wouldn't be needed.

Vegeta likes this