Kinect v2 mocap (for Windows)

In addition to the Noitom Perception Neuron motion capture system (neuronmocap.com)... I'm also seriously looking into the new Kinect V2 for full-body & facial motion capture-- the new sensor seems very promising-- and some savvy mocap programmers have created some powerful mocap tools that plugin to Motionbuilder & other major 3D Apps. Best thing is this is all available for under $500... so really affordable to most.

Mocap software I'm looking at for the Kinect V2:

http://brekel.com ~ $239

Kinect V2 = $149.99

Kinect Windows PC adapter = $49.99

Stay tuned...
  • 5 weeks later...

It'd be fun to play around with a trial but while a few hundred bones wouldn't put a dent in my money I just can't see a reason to spend money to mod games right now. Has anyone even made a JA rig yet in any of the other softwares? Or better yet has anyone found the dotXSI 3.x code for Maya just in case that software becomes popular in this community?

eezstreet and DT. like this

Only Max & XSI have JKA rigs as far as I'm aware.

I searched all over the net including using that webpage time machine thing and that code is gone. All that exists is a very old version of the plugin. But with Noesis, you should at least be able to get weapons & player models out from Maya. I personally have 0 experience with Maya so I can't test it.

Well if someone say has a copy of the old Maya 7 plugin that allowed import/export of dotXSI 3.x that would be a start as it could possibly be reverse engineered. I guess though there would have to be a demand for it

Using other software for file converting has never worked perfectly, my opinion may be biased as a Softimage user but maybe not so much since I have experience with other 3d packages but nothing so far has worked as flawlessly as exporting from Softimage and just using Assimilate to compile. Things like my _humanoid rig and AT-ST worked flawlessly right away and they were 2 of the most advanced animation rigs done as far as I've seen.

Although Max exporters are now more up to date I've yet to see any heavy animation work exported and working and as far as Blender people only seem to be using it to jumble models together and not really create anything new.

I will have to look... I know I have the Maya 6,7, & 8.5 Maya plugins... but I'm not sure if any of those zip files include the code.

I also have the source code to the Milkshape dotXSI importer & Jed wrote a Milkshape dotXSI exporter... so someone could start with that and swap out the milkshape parts for Maya.

There is also an XSI conversion toolkit that I have that would allow a programmer to make a standalone XSI converter tool for any 3D package

I started out with Milkshape and it used to be a popular solution for Q3 modding. I tried the exporter after I started using Softimage to see how well it works and if Milkshape only had a way to arrange a hierarchy it would be fully capable of exporting a dotXSI 3.0 file that Assimilate could use to build a character model or animation.

I started out with Milkshape and it used to be a popular solution for Q3 modding. I tried the exporter after I started using Softimage to see how well it works and if Milkshape only had a way to arrange a hierarchy it would be fully capable of exporting a dotXSI 3.0 file that Assimilate could use to build a character model or animation.

Hmm... I thought Jed's dotXSI 3.0 exporter for Milkshape did hierarchies... anyways, I fired up my old WinXP machine that has the Maya plugin archives... the zip files contain Object Code and a MEL script for export options.  So I don't know if this object code (32bit for Maya 6.5 and 7.0 and Linux/win32/win64 for Maya 8.0) could be compiled with later versions.  I also archived the dotXSI for Maya wiki page-- which should contain compile instructions.

If you want I can upload them here for you or someone to give it a try...

Well if someone say has a copy of the old Maya 7 plugin that allowed import/export of dotXSI 3.x that would be a start as it could possibly be reverse engineered. I guess though there would have to be a demand for it

Using other software for file converting has never worked perfectly, my opinion may be biased as a Softimage user but maybe not so much since I have experience with other 3d packages but nothing so far has worked as flawlessly as exporting from Softimage and just using Assimilate to compile. Things like my _humanoid rig and AT-ST worked flawlessly right away and they were 2 of the most advanced animation rigs done as far as I've seen.

Although Max exporters are now more up to date I've yet to see any heavy animation work exported and working and as far as Blender people only seem to be using it to jumble models together and not really create anything new.

I doubt one could get far with reverse engineering a plugin, it would be better and faster to just make it from scratch provided one knows how to. This is the plugin I found and uploaded it here: http://jkhub.org/files/file/1863-maya-45-dotxsi-3x-exporter/

Max can export 100% viable dotXSI files for animation, I know that from personal experience. I have imported the JKA GLA in FBX format and exported it out as one big dotXSI file and carcass/modview/in-game had no issue. I had the FBX imported nulls constrained to a clean set of nulls for in-game. I've even tested constraining clean nulls to biped & CAT rigs (no animation baking needed btw) with no issue so Archangel's fixes to the plugin hold up perfectly. P.S that shark I animated used clean nulls + CAT rig.

I dunno about Blender with animation, but you can at least make new player models. It's just that it's faster to use Blender for frankensteining due to the GLM import/export plugin.