Leia kissed Luke 2 times

Not that I know of, it's the scene from ROTJ that's been spread all over the google.  This was my first time seeing another kiss between them.
I was also surprised to find so many deleted scenes from the original trilogy --  apparently Lucas shot most of the story that can only be read from the books today.

Did Lucas plan on Luke and Leia being siblings before ROTJ or did he just kinda decide to make that happen in ROTJ? If he already knew that he wanted them to be siblings that makes it so much more awkward. 

I've heard that the family bond idea developed as he was working through the trilogy. Which would explain a lot of things, but it also makes Star Wars an incredibly lucky production. Either someone on George's team -- or he himself in his younger years -- had very good insight into emotional storytelling, or he was on a lucky trail, on destiny's trail, as he developed the story.

So no, he wouldn't have seen the ending relationship coming during the making of the second movie. It was still in development. He was probably thinking there needs to be an emotional connection between Luke and Leia, and Han, and that the easiest way to do this was to make Leia feel something for Luke and vice versa. That later developed into a romantic relationship between Han and Leia, and a family blood relationship between Luke and Leia.

But it does have to be one of the most awkward in-development scenes in movie history.

Did Lucas plan on Luke and Leia being siblings before ROTJ or did he just kinda decide to make that happen in ROTJ? If he already knew that he wanted them to be siblings that makes it so much more awkward. 

I've heard that the family bond idea developed as he was working through the trilogy. Which would explain a lot of things, but it also makes Star Wars an incredibly lucky production. Either someone on George's team -- or he himself in his younger years -- had very good insight into emotional storytelling, or he was on a lucky trail, on destiny's trail, as he developed the story.

So no, he wouldn't have seen the ending relationship coming during the making of the second movie. It was still in development. He was probably thinking there needs to be an emotional connection between Luke and Leia, and Han, and that the easiest way to do this was to make Leia feel something for Luke and vice versa. That later developed into a romantic relationship between Han and Leia, and a family blood relationship between Luke and Leia.

But it does have to be one of the most awkward in-development scenes in movie history.

I recall distinctly in an interview (I want to say I saw it in the late 90s, but I have no idea when it was shot) that he explained that the original script for Star Wars spanned all of what we now consider the prequel and original trilogies (not in the way we know them, the storyline was a bit different), plus the stories for 7,8 and 9.  Studios kept turning him away though, because the idea of producing such a massive film of it's kind, was laughable at the time.  So in an effort to improve his chances, he whittled the story down into something he felt was more workable (the original trilogy) and decided he would then split it into 3 films and attempt to get those made first, and return to do the rest later.

I'll see if I can hunt down this interview online somewhere, I saw it on a special VHS or something.

EDIT

Here it is, with Leonard Maltin, it was on the original release VHS.  He distinctly mentions already having written a larger script, which he broke the acts down into what would become the films, as well as a backstory that would lead to the prequels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMoCP4jZLxk

Edited by CrimsonStrife
I think a lot of what Lucas says and has said is exaggeration for the sake of financial and publisher support. Screenplays, novels, and longer pieces of writing are always subject to a lot of detail removal and additions, story restructuring, rewriting, and other major revisions over time. It would have taken him many years to finalise the sequence of scripts to such a perfection. He was very young when he made the original trilogy. He may have had a preliminary concept for the prequels and preliminary bits and pieces of a draft for the sequels at the time he was making the first movie, but even by the time he had finished shooting the third movie, his concepts for the prequels would have been just vague, rough ideas on where the story in them could go.

If he had had a clear idea about the prequels, or written a first draft when he was young, then the story in them wouldn't have turned out to be so different to the original trilogy. (Midichlorians anyone?)

It's a similar story with the original sequels. He would have had remaining parts from the first draft that he would have had to restructure and rewrite into a comprehensive story as he was making the movies. Chances are that what the preliminary draft contained, and what ended up as the final scripts for the sequels are almost two entirely different storylines.

Being a writer, I'm highly sceptical of such supernatural planning skills. Also, I imagine he would have had a lot of support from people around him when structuring the story of the original trilogy, and shooting the movies. They were his first really large-scale project after all...

But that's an interesting interview, @@CrimsonStrife. Thanks for sharing. :) It's nice to see a more humble Lucas parting with his wild experiences making the first movie.

I think a lot of what Lucas says and has said is exaggeration for the sake of financial and publisher support. Screenplays, novels, and longer pieces of writing are always subject to a lot of detail removal and additions, story restructuring, rewriting, and other major revisions over time. It would have taken him many years to finalise the sequence of scripts to such a perfection. He was very young when he made the original trilogy. He may have had a preliminary concept for the prequels and preliminary bits and pieces of a draft for the sequels at the time he was making the first movie, but even by the time he had finished shooting the third movie, his concepts for the prequels would have been just vague, rough ideas on where the story in them could go.

If he had had a clear idea about the prequels, or written a first draft when he was young, then the story in them wouldn't have turned out to be so different to the original trilogy. (Midichlorians anyone?)

It's a similar story with the original sequels. He would have had remaining parts from the first draft that he would have had to restructure and rewrite into a comprehensive story as he was making the movies. Chances are that what the preliminary draft contained, and what ended up as the final scripts for the sequels are almost two entirely different storylines.

Being a writer, I'm highly sceptical of such supernatural planning skills. Also, I imagine he would have had a lot of support from people around him when structuring the story of the original trilogy, and shooting the movies. They were his first really large-scale project after all...

But that's an interesting interview, @@CrimsonStrife. Thanks for sharing. :) It's nice to see a more humble Lucas parting with his wild experiences making the first movie.

Well it's unlikely of any significant exaggeration in this interview, first off it was made prior to any of the re-mastering or edited versions, so Lucas had not quite hit his "crazy" phase yet.  Also this interview was only released once, on the last run of the original, un-edited trilogy on VHS.  Anything post-crazy Lucas is consistently re-shown.

Now for the sake of brevity is why he most likely talks as though the scripts were used "as-is" after being broken up, but he does say he moved things around and re-shifted bits.  The point I was making, was not that the prequels or any of the scripts were in a finished state, but that most of the major plot points, who was Vader, where did he come from, Luke and Leia being siblings, the emperor's rise to power (the clone wars), would have all roughly been place when he made the first film.

Hell, even the second draft for the first film still had Luke with the last name "Starkiller", the Jedi were "Jedi Bendu" and they had mastery over the "Force of Others", Han was a crew member on a pirate ship run by "Jabba", there were crazy space drugs involved (likely were spice came from in the EU), and there was some talk of "Bogan Force" being the dark side and the "Ashla Force" being the light, Luke had a brother named "Deak", plus several other siblings (Leia was his cousin, but still family), and it was Uncle Owen that trained him as a Jedi.  So, to be honest, having seen the kind of nonsense in the early drafts, I'm surprised we didn't get something weirder than "magical space bacteria", and family bonds were obviously a major focus early on.

And I wouldn't say this was his first "big" project, considering he made American Graffiti, which though on a smaller budget, still did pretty damn well for itself, and was the reason that FOX was willing to give him a chance in the first place.  And even A New Hope was only made on roughly a 3rd of the budget most big films got in that day.  It didn't become a big deal until it released.

I meant the whole original trilogy as one large project...

Well, considering that other major details were shifted around and changed as the scripts were developed and the movies filmed, I don't find the thought of Luke and Leia's relationship going from a two-way romance with Han to a sister and brother relationship surprising. I think the only steady plot point from the beginning would have been the big twist with Luke and his father, though even that can be questionable, whether the idea was present before the completion of the first movie.

One thing seems certain, George wanted to create a big Hollywood movie adventure (space opera) for families from the beginning (like Flash Gordon), so the family bond themes seem rather fitting in that context, and hints at incest do not at all, even by today's standards.