No Force Feedback support in OpenJK

oziboy

Hi,

I like playing JO & JA with my x360 controller using a mixture of third party dinput drivers and Pinnacle Game Profiler.  And I find it works really well.  But I've noticed that the force feedback (vibration) support with OpenJK doesn't work.

When I play JA without OpenJK, the vibration works, but when I use OpenJK it doesn't. Futhermore I noticed with OpenJK, when I open the console it doesn't show the controller as a device at all, whereas it does without OpenJK. 

Also when I select the force feedback option in the controls menu the red writing says something like " will apply changes and return to main menu."  It does flash back to main menu without OpenJK, but with it, and the console shows " unknown ui script update_ff ".

I tried adding command lines from the original jaconfig file to the openjk cfg file like "seta use_ff "1" etc... But without success.

If anybody knows of a way to fix this I'll be greatly appreciative.

Cheers

Hi oziboy. Thanks for trying out OpenJK. Unfortunately, we've had to take out force feedback for the moment because it was using proprietary code (i.e. it was using code that shouldn't have been released). I'm hoping that we can add back in support for force feedback at some point in the future, but for now OpenJK doesn't support it at all.

Hi Xycaleth,

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll be eagerly waiting in the meantime.  Also are there any mods that provide more controller support? So that I wouldn't have to use Pinnacle Game Profiler.  Not to say anything bad about pinnacle, it's easily the best program of it's kind.

Cheers

Hi Xycaleth,

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll be eagerly waiting in the meantime.  Also are there any mods that provide more controller support? So that I wouldn't have to use Pinnacle Game Profiler.  Not to say anything bad about pinnacle, it's easily the best program of it's kind.

Cheers

As far as I know there aren't any mods that add controller support. Such a mod would have to change the executable which is beyond the scope of what the existing projects aim to do - again, as far as I know.

There's no force feedback support with that because it requires being hooked up to something in the game code. And its been removed because sdl2 uses xinput directly. But the game controller / joystick code implementation isn't anything special yet (from ioquake3)

SDL2 does have haptics (ff) support but again it must be hooked up to something to tell it when to run on events etc.

Maybe if we can find the original ff game implementation we can come up with something. Like from effects files.