jedi academy sp, what rpg features possible?

sorry for being noob again, its just been a long time since I visited jedi academy moding sosiety and have no idea what's happening right now

so is it possible to add more rpg style stuff in to JA singleplayer?
features like
1 inventory - ability to wear different armor which you can find during the game?
2 upgradable lightsaber - on map you can find workbench where you can upgrade your lightsaber, depend on which lightsber cristal you already found during the game?
3 expirience bar and levels - each killed enemy or finished task gave you expirience, once expirience is enough your level is rises, which increased your maximum force energy, health, and give you a force star to upgraide, is it possible to do so?
4 trade, feature to buy and sell stuff with the traders which could be found on the map?
5 more freely travell between maps, after you finished the map, you can visit it again (to find secrets you didnt find first time for example)?

so is it possible to made such features? how hard it would be? did someone already tried to do something like this?

Its possible sure, we have source code access nothing is stopping you.  Has anyone implemented those things?  No, not really.

1. JKG did this a bit, but that was multiplayer and it was still sort of broken (armor clips through player models occasionally).

2. JKG started to do this - this one should be significantly easier to create though in singleplayer.  I wouldn't be surprised if there were a mod out there that tried this.

3. Lot of different mods have done this already.  An older one was Open Jedi Project (OJP).

4. This could be easily done with scripts.

5. So replay maps?  The problem is the engine doesn't keep persistent map data after you switch levels, but I'm sure you could easily store this info to a text file and then retrieve it when loading the map and stick it into the map/change maps cfg based on data.  This would take a bit more work though.  See below

Edited by Darth Futuza

JKG Developer

5. So replay maps?  The problem is the engine doesn't keep persistent map data after you switch levels, but I'm sure you could easily store this info to a text file and then retrieve it when loading the map and stick it into the map/change maps cfg based on data.  This would take a bit more work though.

It doesn't? As far as I know JA supports sort of "hub" levels; target_level_change has option "hub":

HUB - Will save the current map's status and load the next map with any saved status it may have

and coped with this key value:

"target" - Name of spawnpoint to start at in the new map

It seems to support these kind of hubs. Haven't looked through the code though, so I may be wrong.

It doesn't? As far as I know JA supports sort of "hub" levels; target_level_change has option "hub":

HUB - Will save the current map's status and load the next map with any saved status it may have

and coped with this key value:

"target" - Name of spawnpoint to start at in the new map

It seems to support these kind of hubs. Haven't looked through the code though, so I may be wrong.

Nope you're right, I was thinking multiplayer for some derp reason.  I don't know what kind of information it'll allow to be tracked by though, I haven't looked at it much.

JKG Developer

I just made a quick test, and overall it seems that it actually works pretty well as a hub: I tried going back after opening a door or killing a stormtrooper, and they remained there. And every time I spawned on the correctly targeted info_player_start entity.

I considered adding some RPG-ish features to JK2:HD in a vein similar to BioShock. After doing some more research though, I decided that having these RPG elements would detriment the game's design. Specifically, the elements I considered adding (like some vending machines and a money system) were panned by critics, and I also felt that they may have made the game too easy.

LucyTheAlien likes this

guys can you help me to find some sort of tutorial or articles that would help to understand what exactly i should do to add these features (№1 inventory for example) in the single player game?

i dont really have much experience in this stuff, i more like a modeler/map maker, although once i did a few simple scripts for heroes 5 map using lua-language, but i guess modifying JA to add wearable armor is complete different stuff

so if you help find tutorials/useful articles i will be very appreciated, cause right now i feel kinda confused and dont even know what to start

guys can you help me to find some sort of tutorial or articles that would help to understand what exactly i should do to add these features (№1 inventory for example) in the single player game?

i dont really have much experience in this stuff, i more like a modeler/map maker, although once i did a few simple scripts for heroes 5 map using lua-language, but i guess modifying JA to add wearable armor is complete different stuff

so if you help find tutorials/useful articles i will be very appreciated, cause right now i feel kinda confused and dont even know what to start

Well I guess it depends on what you want to do/are interested in doing.  There's a lot of different type of modding you can do for JKA.  Are you more interested in modelling, skinning, coding, mapping, scripting, or something else?  Since it sounds like you're most interested in making inventory, you probably want to do some coding.  eezstreet has a good starting tutorial here: http://jkhub.org/tutorials/article/145-compiling-openjk-win32-must-read-for-new-coders/

I suggest you first get openjk to compile then play around with the code and just try and change a few things.  eg: projectile speeds, or something similarly easy

Then when you feel you have a bit of experience, go hope on the jacoders irc channel and start asking some questions.

JKG Developer

An inventory is a tough system to try and implement in this game (I'd know, considering I've done it before. :P). Fortunately it's MUCH easier to do in SP than in MP. Take Futuza's advice though - get a solid grip on coding, especially learning more about structures (structs/classes) and I'll give you some info/attack plans to go by.

• 2 weeks later...

so i'm sort of the complete this first tutorial (http://jkhub.org/tutorials/article/145-compiling-openjk-win32-must-read-for-new-coders/)
and successfully compiled openjk code (I guess)

though there is a little trouble, once in the game i try to open "moves" menu, game crashes, everything else seems works fine

but trying to complete second tutorial (http://jkhub.org/tutorials/article/133-make-any-weapon-usable-from-a-swoop-mpsp/)
i face a big problem none of my changes appears in the game once code is compiled, there are still only saber and blaster are available to use on vehicle, and i dont know why

after spending few days trying to solve this problem (which in my case looked pretty stupid since i have no knowledge of coding) i decided to post here again hoping somebody could help me

so what did i made wrong? can somebody help me?