Question about player icon shaders.

So, for base customisation, lots of the same parts are used over and over on many models and as such I have hundreds of icon files, nearly all of which are exact duplicates of others and make the mod huge.

Say I have an icon for the reborn called icon_torso_a1.jpg and I have given the jedi model the same torso option under the name torso_a1.skin

Is it possible to make a shader called models/players/jedi/icon_torso_a1 and have it just display the same image file from the reborn folder, without me having to make a copy of the jpg in the jedi folder?

Fine, fine. See the examples below:

General setup:

models/players/yourfolder/yourtexture
{
  {
     map models/players/yourfolder/yourtexture
     blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ZERO
     rgbGen lightingDiffuse
  }
}

If you want a line in your skin file to point to something completely different. In this example, the file "torso" in the bobskin folder does not need to even exist, as the shader will tell the game to look in the stormtrooper folder for this texture. The skin file would still have the path to the bobskin folder, though.

models/players/bobskin/torso
{
  {
     map models/players/stormtrooper/torso
     blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ZERO
     rgbGen lightingDiffuse
  }
}

In theory, making an icon point to another texture. In this case, again in theory, the Kyle icon should now show the Lando icon without adding or moving any textures. Try it out and see if it works.

models/players/kyle/icon_default
{
  {
     map models/players/lando/icon_default
     blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ZERO
     rgbGen lightingDiffuse
  }
}

Caelum likes this