carcass errors

Guest KENNITHH

Guest KENNITHH

A friend of mine and I are basicly trying something with the default character model of SoF2.

What we did is the following:

- Use Noesis to open average_sleeves.glm (the character we'll be using for this) and export it as SMD.
- Open the SMD in 3DSMAX 7 with Half-Life 2 SMD Importer (triangles and skeletons only)

- Select all, auto key, drag the Time-Slider to the right, move everything a bit forward, auto key

- Export as Softimage|XSI Export (*.XSI), leave as default

0d702afed5.png

- Run the .bat file we made

and here we get this :

( Reading 0.84MB CARPET file )

0%
(90 degree skewing OFF)
Loading GLA "skeletons/average_sleeves_mp.gla"...2549 frames
Grabbed 1 files with 2549 frames
Processing 'c:/avsdk/base/models/weapons/ABC/ABC.XSI'
Processing meshes, LOD 0
Processing meshes, LOD 1
(Mesh empty, so total LODs = 1)
Generating ABC.glm ... ( scale: 0.92 ) 
Writing MDX/GLM model file...
Building GLM...
Error: Surface 'smdimport' has 88 bone references, max is 32!
Error: Surface 'smdimport' has 2264 triangles, max is 2000!
Surface "smdimport" has exceeded 32 bone references

Any ideas on how to fix this?

This was basicly our test, see if we can decompile, compile the model back.

The other test we did was, using a rigged model, align it with the original model, use that model's skinweight and then export it the same way as I said before. But then we get this error

0%

(90 degree skewing OFF)
Loading GLA "skeletons/average_sleeves_mp.gla"...2549 frames
Grabbed 1 files with 2549 frames
Processing 'c:/avsdk/base/models/weapons/ABC/ABC.XSI'
XSI import failed, code = 12 (file 'c:/avsdk/base/models/weapons/ABC/ABC.XSI')

I've tried both checking if there's an invisible object and toggling of vertex mode in editable mesh, but still not working

We do have experience in changing weapon models without any issues but seems like characters might be a step too high for us

Uncheck absolute texture paths. Also make sure that no 3ds Max objects have spaces in their names-- if they do... replace the spaces with underscores.

Also a vertex can only be weighted/influenced by 4 bones. If you want to export animations... then you need to check that box. Keys should exist on root pose (frame 0).

Guest KENNITHH

Cheers guys for the info but I still get the same errors for both tests.

We're just exporting the model without animations so it uses the default ones.

And Ive checked, there are no spaces anywere, all the same bones as i extracted it from the glm, just another model.

Original :

Error: Surface 'smdimport01' has 88 bone references, max is 32!

Error: Surface 'smdimport01' has 2264 triangles, max is 2000!

Surface "smdimport01" has exceeded 32 bone references

New model :

XSI import failed, code = 12 (file 'c:/avsdk/base/models/weapons/ABC/ABC.XSI')

Tomorow I'll try another format then smd from noesis, seems like smd merges all objects to one smdimport object and this probably is why it now says it has 88 bone references and 2264 triangles... So I guess that error shall be fixed.

But the new model still has that error..

Cheers guys for the info but I still get the same errors for both tests.

@@Archangel35757, when I try your dotXSI for 3dsmax 2013 64bit, I get another error for the original one, the new model still has the same error.

XSI import failed, File Contains 'Cubic' scale keys (file 'c:/avsdk/base/models/weapons/ABC/ABC.XSI')

Then I changed my region to US and changed the , to . and still the same thing.

But tomorow I'll try another format then smd from noesis, seems like smd merges all seperate parts to one smdimport object and this probably is why it now says it has 88 bone references.

Did you put animation keys on the Scale transform? You should not... Bezier scale controllers give you that cubic error. Scale controller can only be linear-- but you should have no need to put keys on scale controllers.

Guest KENNITHH

Did you put animation keys on the Scale transform? You should not... Bezier scale controllers give you that cubic error. Scale controller can only be linear-- but you should have no need to put keys on scale controllers.

Putting animation keys on Scale transform, is that like selecting everything, pressing n, move it a bit, press n again? Sorry but Im very unfamiliar with modelling terms :P, mapping is more my cup of thee but this has been a long dream for us.

Also sorry bout editing the previous post which could cause confusion, but I will try to fix the original model test first when im back from work, before I continue on searching whats wrong with the new model , error 12, unless someone knows some other solutions.

Guest KENNITHH

I finaly managed to get the original model ingame, tags weren't working as it probably didn't copy the weight of the tags by exporting from noesis, but I don't need them on the new model anyway.

Also exporting it scaled the model down by 92% (Generating ABC.glm ... ( scale: 0.92 ) ) so I had to scale the model up to 108%.

And I think the error 12 I get on the new model is because some verts arent weighted?

PS: Both versions work now @@Archangel35757

Guest KENNITHH

Good to know, but still stuck with the code 12 error, is this because there are vertices that have more then 4 bones weighted to it?

Edit: because I remember there is an error that actually says this but its not showing

PS: I uploaded the .max (7), car, xsi, files for that friend of mine to take a look at what he might think is wrong.

I'm just dropping the link here too just in case someone is interested in checking it out

http://www.mediafire.com/download/xzdhad37dz88qki/ABC.zip

Guest KENNITHH

so I've seen that some have downloaded the file, any ideas ? The friend of mine who tested it said he had another error than me namely: "model_root exists more than once" in both files, while I can run carcass just fine on the original one.

so I've seen that some have downloaded the file, any ideas ? The friend of mine who tested it said he had another error than me namely: "model_root exists more than once" in both files, while I can run carcass just fine on the original one.

you can't have a "model_root" dummy helper in your scene-- because the exporter creates this helper. He could try "export selected" and have only skeleton_root, mesh_root, and their children selected.

Error: Surface 'smdimport' has 88 bone references, max is 32!

Surface "smdimport" has exceeded 32 bone references

This means that you cannot have more than 32 bones weighed to 1 surface, not the 4 bone per vert limit. Source engine content usually have their meshes as one big object. Try splitting up the mesh, this will fix it.

Guest KENNITHH

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED !

a09c55c64d.jpgb25d8db3c1.jpga1bb57189f.jpg

Note, this was again just a test, also testing a high poly/vert model, but I kinda wonder how it would look like with rend2 :P

Polys: 22 539
Verts: 14 451

Once again guys, thanks for helping me out, this has been a dream of us for years and finally we did it :D !

Guest KENNITHH

Well this aint really carcass related anymore , or it might be, but ingame, you can see seams on the model where it had been regrouped/detached, can this be fixed? And to what is it related?

Cheers

If it's normal map related:

The only way to 'fix' the seams created from model detachment is to bake the normal map from a highpoly source to a low poly model that already has the seams in-place. This way, the normal map is working with the seams rather than trying to act like they aren't there. While it most likely won't remove it 100%, it should reduce the visibility of the seams.

If it's not normal map related, there's nothing you can do except not segment.

Guest KENNITHH

If it's normal map related:

The only way to 'fix' the seams created from model detachment is to bake the normal map from a highpoly source to a low poly model that already has the seams in-place. This way, the normal map is working with the seams rather than trying to act like they aren't there. While it most likely won't remove it 100%, it should reduce the visibility of the seams.

If it's not normal map related, there's nothing you can do except not segment.

Ok thanks for the info DT85, its not normal map related, so I think its best to use a lower poly/vert count model and detach by element.

Its a shame though they added they max 1000 vert count :(

Guest KENNITHH

Sorry to dissapoint you @@Archangel35757, but I'm doing this for SOF2 :P as there is no helping community in SOF2 unfortunatly :(

but haven't you tried opening the gla in noesis and export it as SMD/FBX/DAE? shouldn't be too hard to get the animations like that .. I guess