CSGO Italy : SoF2 Challenge

Guest KENNITHH

Guest KENNITHH

I had to put my other projects on hold because a few days ago I've been challenged to make CSGO's italy for SoF2 which I couldn't deny as I'm curious for the end result.

The main goal is seeing how a map from a new, improved engine would look on our old engine, and trying to use new techniques which they didn't use in the default maps.

At the end, compare both maps from the exact same location.

All credits go to the original maker of the map, models, textures: Valve. I'm just the person who ports it (retexture, port models, ...)

79c6d7583f.jpg775260be3a.jpg

But as you can see, the floor is quiet messed up. It's an .ase model with spawnflags 6.

15b2dbc139.jpg

I'm also wondering how I can get the best possible shadows, maybe someone knows some things I could change / add.

textures/csgo_italy/sky

{
qer_editorimage textures/tools/editor_images/qer_sky
q3map_sunExt 0.882353 0.827451 0.749020 1000 30 55 3 16
q3map_lightmapFilterRadius 0 8
q3map_skyLight 100 3
surfaceparm sky
surfaceparm noimpact
surfaceparm nolightmap
surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nodlight
notc
q3map_nolightmap
skyParms textures/csgo_italy/skybox/sky 512 -
}

"_color" "0.921569 0.878431 0.796078"

"_lightmapscale" "0.25"

"ambient" "80"
"classname" "worldspawn"

Guest KENNITHH

Doesn't look too bad, now I gotta start adding the models. I just wonder what would be best, md3 or ase, and still gotta fix that road somehow..

0c445575fd.jpg
c616708e01.jpg
30fd76ff9a.jpg
c426fe8d73.jpg
0e9a10266c.jpg
de57d17bbf.jpg

Guest KENNITHH

After an intense boring day of porting models, I'm almost there with the models : entity 1398 of 1846 knowing that 90% of the entities in there are models atm

Some screenies in radiant:

62a01b5281.jpg

5409b2e5aa.jpg

ccf054219d.jpg

055f4f53dc.jpg

1dd2394cec.jpg

549f1d299c.jpg

Looks good imo, must even look better ingame :D

EDIT: And when trying to compile , I get this

************ ERROR ************

MAX_MAP_DRAW_VERTS

I was kinda waiting for an error to show up :P.. Guess I'll have to remove some smaller , unnessary models
Guest KENNITHH

I had some of them as static ones before but then I had the g_Spawn no free entities error.. But i guess ill have to mix both like , the high vert ones as model static, the rest misc model and if that doesnt work, ill have to remove a few small ones.

Guest KENNITHH

Soo... after a week of retexturing, porting models (213 : stresssssss :facepalm: ) , this is the result in Radiant:

d6d6b7f836.jpg

66a64d6a20.jpg

f8e6d1399a.jpg

562c072112.jpg

912856d925.jpg

Now our coder asked me to compile the models as model_static because he wanted to view this error G_Spawn: No free entities (ingame) I had before , but now when using model_static, I can't even compile the map : Entity text too long (radiant)...

So I tried again with misc_model and there I get MAX_MAP_DRAW_VERTS (radiant)

Gotta love this editor and engine  :lol:

Guest KENNITHH

Im still using the old 1.4.0 with raven in its name , I think I have it from SoF2 files, guess it's time to upgrade? :P

Edit: Seems like there is no pack for SoF2 but it looks like I can make an own package.. correct me if I'm wrong 

Guest KENNITHH

Seems like keeping the 213 unique models and 1746 models won't be happening :P

When I fix one error, another one pops up..

Entity text too long: Fixed by removing some unused entity info

G_Spawn: No free entities: Fixed by mixing misc_model and model_static

MAX_MAP_DRAW_VERTS: Fixed by mixing misc_model and model_static

but doing the last 2 just lags too hard

Now a friend of mine suggested merging multiple models into 1 model so I can use more model_static's but thats another workaround.. and I'm already doing too much workarounds tbh :P

Guest KENNITHH

I've read that you have to combine model_static and misc_model in a specific way like : make repeating models x, other that come only once y, models with high detail x/y etc.

Can anyone confirm this? And explain a little more what should be what ?

Guest KENNITHH

That's a good map, I like playing it ;)  To be honest I'd personally never re-create Source maps for this engine as it would degrade it a lot and remove its beauty.  When making maps I tend to stick to UDK and Source :D

It looks quiet well imo, must even look better with rend2 but yeah it's basicly just a test to compare both. But it's this engine and it's limits thats pissing me off :P

It looks quiet well imo, must even look better with rend2 but yeah it's basicly just a test to compare both. But it's this engine and it's limits thats pissing me off :P

That's one of the main reasons that I'm put off making models for this engine to be honest.  I'm used to making things for Source and Unreal so it seems like such a waste of time and effort for something that can't be fully appreciated.

Guest KENNITHH

That's one of the main reasons that I'm put off making models for this engine to be honest.  I'm used to making things for Source and Unreal so it seems like such a waste of time and effort for something that can't be fully appreciated.

Totally agree, but it's the gameplay what keeps me at SOF2, I have never played something similar or better. It's all about skills in these old games while in the new games, you need luck. Plus the modding is so easy in these games

If anyone would port SOF2 gameplay (physics I guess?) to another engine, I'd gladly leave this game.

But in the meantime, I'll be doing this unappreciated work , just like you said.

Guest KENNITHH

3e87880c4d.jpg

Finally a workaround which works :D, constant 125fps but could be improved if I can get the hint/skip brushes working (MAX_VISIBILITY_ERROR )

Stil gotta fix some shaders though

Totally agree, but it's the gameplay what keeps me at SOF2, I have never played something similar or better. It's all about skills in these old games while in the new games, you need luck. Plus the modding is so easy in these games

If anyone would port SOF2 gameplay (physics I guess?) to another engine, I'd gladly leave this game.

But in the meantime, I'll be doing this unappreciated work , just like you said.

I want to bring some gameplay features from SoF2 to JKA. I want to add rapelling, ladders, climbing, etc, and some of the character animations, AI improvements-- but its more than I can do alone.