Mappers: What editor/version do you use, and why?

Returning to Editors versions, I wonder if there is an alternative in 1.5. to what I have in 1.4:

- When in XYZ view, I can select entities like NPCs, ref_tags, target_speaker through lots of brushes which are located above them. Is it possible in 1.5.?

- If applying a texture to a brush, I could use a click on other brush to select the necessary texture, and it would be chosen in the texture list. It works like Photoshop Eyedropper, whilst in 1.5. I didn't find such an option.

- I don't think that's possible unfortunately. I think there's a shader keyword that will make the brush with the shader unselectable in the editor (might be good for skyboxes at times), but otherwise I think it would only help to know shortcuts for filtering.

- You can middle mouse click a texture to choose it in the texture list. Unfortunately it doesn't adapt the surface properties as well, such as in 1.6. Edit: Yes it does

I completely agree with you!  It gets so annoying because some things work on 1.5 but don't on 1.6 and vice versa.  It sometimes puts me off to be honest as I'd like nothing better than to commit to 1.6 but find myself constantly going back to 1.5.

I guess it's to be expected really... I mean it's not like Hammer (Source Engine, similar editor to Radiant) where you get updates and that's how that version stands, no jumping between various versions.  There just isn't enough support for it i suppose, it is kinda old now.