Patch Mesh Question

My problem arises when trying to put snowpiles on my landing platform, along with the station walkways. I get, I think, what is called Z-fighting. Depending on the angle, I can see my snowpiles edge flickering with my walkway on where I rounded the edges. Now, I can't use caulk under the snowpiles or else all my edges would be square. This also only happens occasionally with patch mesh. I can make one that has no Z-fighting with nice, rounded edges so it looks like a pile. The problem is that this seems hard to replicate consistently. Is there any trick to this?

Make a shader for the texture you are applying to the patchmesh and make sure it has the polygonOffset keyword.

See if that solves your z-fighting.

*edit*

Also, if you want a little bit of blending off, try some alpha volumes on the outermost vertices of the snow pile mesh. Might make it a little better looking.

Make a shader for the texture you are applying to the patchmesh and make sure it has the polygonOffset keyword.

See if that solves your z-fighting.

*edit*

Also, if you want a little bit of blending off, try some alpha volumes on the outermost vertices of the snow pile mesh. Might make it a little better looking.

Can you steer me in the direction of a good tutorial on how shader creation ? The Rich Diesal tutorial seems to be about light shaders. 

Good tutorials. You know what I like about codradiant? Terrain meshes. Manipulate and shape them however you want without bothering with quad soup or tri soup. Want to alpha blend? Copy and paste the mesh, select the alpha texture, select the vertices and manipulate the alpha values right there in the editor, seeing your blending in real time.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh. So good.

Well, theres a lot of features of newer games and engines that obviously are fantastically superior to JA :D

I know. I used to use GTKRadiant and make stuff for JKA. I like to rattle JKA mappers cages from time to time by reminding them of how inferior the mapping is to newer stuff. :)