FBX to GLM converter

@@Xycaleth

I was thinking. What about making assimilate able to compile Ghoul2 (without the need for carcass)? It can already work with .xsi files and would serve as a good GUI.

I thought that Assimilate is simply a fancy GUI wrapper for the Carcass.exe (Assimilate generates the .car file and calls Carcass to do the actual compiling), am I missing something?  Or are you asking @@Xycaleth to simply add his FBX to GLM/GLA converter to be a second compiler under the "Assimilate" GUI.  E.g., if you supply .FBX files then it uses the FBX2GLA converter... but if you supply .XSI files then it still uses Carcass.exe.

I don't think we should do anything that would break the Assimilate/Carcass relationship... as an aside, Carcass use to accept .ASE files from 3ds Max... I think they simply renamed it to .ASK (would be nice if we could figure out how to get .ASE working with Carcass too).

Yeah, I meant adding the ability to compile .xsi to .glm/gla from assimilate and forget carcass. This way, anyone can change what they want to the ghoul2 format or even make a ghoul3 format. :P Half of the work is done, seeing as assimilate can import .xsi files.

Just call it Assimilass. :P If people still want to use carcass with assimilate, just use the original tools. :)

@@Xycaleth

Also, you could do away with FBX (you said it was a pain) and just upgrade the code to accept dotXSI 6.0 as well as 3.0/3.5. :)

It may be a widely used format but it seems like it would require the least amount of effort to just have the compiler accept a newer version of dotXSI like 6.0. I don't know much about coding so I could be wrong but looking at the files in notepad there doesn't seem to be any real difference between 6.0 and 3.x, the compiler could be refusing to take it simply on the header alone.

The reading of the file isn't the problem - that's handled by the dotXSI SDK. But we don't have the source code for carcass which is the compiler, and converts from XSI format to GLM so it would have to be rewritten from scratch.

Sadly dotXSI is a dead format... that will not be supported after the 2015 releases. Autodesk tied the supported versions of Max to the Crosswalk SDK... so in all likelyhood it will break if/when I ever compiled a new dotXSI exporter for Max 2016. Maybe if I went back to the very first 64-bit SDK made by Softimage... but who knows.

Autodesk has stated FBX is the foreseeable future intermediary format.

@@minilogoguy18 -- the format is quite different... while some dotXSI 3.0/3.5 templates are inherited by dotXSI 6.x there are enough differences to cause failures beyond the header version.

@@Xycaleth -- my suggestion would just be to add your FBX2Ghoul2 converter into Assimilate as a second converter engine under the hood. Or recycle the assimilate code to be your GUI and make it a new separate tool altogether... call it: FBX2G2, or AssimilateFBX, or whatever name you fancy.

• 3 years later...