Harro

Hi folks, I'm Solfire.

I model and animate, I want to make a non-SW SP dungeon crawl mod over the next year with all my own assets (models/animation/music/sounds/fx/maps). I've worked with the SDK before with limited results, but I am familiar with most of the tools and what they do. Before I get started, I'm curious about one thing at this time although I'm sure I'll have a thousand questions before I have anything worth showing. Is it possible to make monsters that wouldn't fit the existing JA skeleton with the release of the SP code? For example, if I made a big ogre kind of thing with different proportions than the humanoid GLA and animated it, would I be able to get it in game or will I have to conform to the existing skeletons for all my monster types? Ultimately I'd like it to have my own look from top to bottom but the same basic feel of SPJKA.

Thanks in advance!

I wouldn't pretend to be an expert on that question, but between Rancors, Wampas and things, I don't see why you couldn't have something that didn't conform to the regular skeleton. The mod sounds intruiging! I'll look forward to it.

Welcome to JKHub. ^_^

You don't need to conform it to the player skeleton at all, just give it it's own GLA. The only thing is that it can't be explicitly named _humanoid if the bone counts don't match (will cause a game crash under certain circumstances)

p.s. I like the prospect of your mod. Sounds really awesome. What direction are you thinking about taking it? (high fantasy/gothic fantasy?)

Replies already, wow!

eezstreet, long answer... I loved the first Quake, and was always intrigued by the Future vs. Fantasy mod. I do have a bigger, grander idea, the whole "my dream game" thing, but I'd rather dive in and accomplish something of a much smaller scope than get lost. I also was a big fan of Asheron's Call and how they used mostly their own creations rather than ripping off DnD or Tolkien. I'm gonna start with a very basic character model that I can update and change as needed as easily as possible and a collection of a dozen monster types all using the same theme, and just change colors to depict stronger versions. There was a mod for Unreal Tourney back in the day that was inspired by Gauntlet, where there were the monster generators you had to destroy to stop the spawning of monsters that were imported from the first Unreal. I don't know if I'll go that route as it's several steps ahead of where I am now, but I think a hybrid of that and the afformentioned SP mod would be pretty much exactly what I want to do. I don't want to get ahead of myself too much tho, I'm starting simple with accomplishable goals and I'm just going to keep building on them as I progress.

minilogoguy, I watched your tutorial last night and it's clear I'm going to be learning your tool. I have it downloaded and this afternoon I'm going to start learning it. I learned animation in Character Studio and was kinda dreading having to use Dragon as it just wasn't as robust. Your video is a huge part of what convinced me to do this. Thank you so much for your hard work and such a clean tutorial!

I've wanted to do this for almost a decade and I still play the HS&M single player melee mod every few months, show it to my friends and say, "This is where gaming could of gone!" That's the core gameplay I want, but instead of chopping up just other humanoids, really creepy critters just seems more of my vibe.

Thank you all for responding!

Thanks, also check out the Softimage resource thread in my sig if you need some general Softimage videos, if you can't find an answer to something just lmk and I'm sure either myself or @@Corto can answer it.

The rig may look a tad different from the video since it's received quite a few updates, nothing too confusing, it's all there in the change log.

• 3 weeks later...