Map Compile Problem: safe_malloc

Just recently I tried to run a light compile on my map and got this error:

safe_malloc failed on allocation of 276824064 bytes

My compile line was "-light -fast -dirty -samples 3". I also tried one with -lomem added, but the compiler just crashed/stopped responding. Has anyone gotten this problem before?

Yep, lomem crashed every time I tried it. At least, that's what it looked like. It's always worked on this map before, but this time Windows just gave me that window that says it stopped responding.

And my laptop has 4 GB of RAM...maybe it happened because there wasn't enough RAM available at that moment?

And my laptop has 4 GB of RAM...maybe it happened because there wasn't enough RAM available at that moment?

No, that's a problem with 32 bit programs on Windows. You usally only get 2 GB of Ram, can trick your way to 3 GB and could in theory handle up to 4, anything above that is literally impossible.

I've previously compiled a 64 bit version (provided you have a 64 bit operating system), though it's mostly untested. See here.

Yeah, I should've mentioned--I have Windows 7 64-bit. And this map has always compiled fine before, although the compile time has gotten a lot longer as the map has grown. It might make sense to restart the computer and try compiling again before doing anything else, so that more of the RAM is free. Unless...could the map itself, loaded in Radiant, be taking up too much RAM for the compile to work?