completely NOVEL idea for a mod [Force Meter mod] - PLZ HELP! [copied from filefront JK3 forum)

TY Microsoft for copy-paste  ^^

alrite this an idea I came up with months ago & I posted it on FF forum, back when the source code wasn't released so I was told that it was too difficult to implement & was also advised by Mr Wonko & Eezstreet (they have same nicks here I suppose?) to contact Raven so I did. Raven folks thought the mod was a GREAT idea...but also told me to contact Lucasarts which I did, maybe me multi-spamming all their mail-boxes contributed to this (or maybe it was the PM I send to the CEO himself on his private address which I found)

and now that source code's been released, NO EXCUSES! :D especially since this mod's both UNIQUE in concept (no one thought about it before, different from the usual mod suggestions, see 4 yurself ) and should only require some VERY MINOR patching, so this outa be easy for anyone of you vets

anyway here's the paste from the topic:

ok this one's definitely never even been thought of before, yet is so obviously essential cause it would improve gameplay a LOT not to mention make more sense:

ever notice that while a force power is active (force protect, force absorb, ...), the force meter dont recharge?

so if yur forcefield is on, then you can only do a limited number of force-jumps (or heals. or anything else). if you want more jumps you gotta deactivate shield till force reserves refill, then reactivate shield. this is especially annoying on the acid rain level

so here's the idea:

say for instance force protect is active, it uses 30% force, so that leaves the meter at 70%

now how about a mod which would have the meter recharge up to 70% while force protect is active?

so that if while shielded (force meter at 70%) I do a jump that uses 20% force, meter drops from 70% to 50%, but then recharges back to 70%?
(and once the shield's off, the meter recharges all the way up to 100% as usual)

that would definitely make gameplay WAAAY more fun not to mention make more sense coolx.gif
(why cant a jedi make multiple jumps or throw several lightning bolts *while shielded*? the fact that one or more force effects are active shouldn't prevent their remaining force reserves from recharging)

http://forums.filefront.com/sw-jk3-modding-mapping-editing/447953-completely-novel-idea-mod-force-meter-mod.html

yeah cause if the mod already existed (I wish) I wouldnt be posting about it here

why, is this correct section of forum or not? :huh: (I read about this forum on FF JK3, where they said FF forum was dead & everyone there had moved here)

It's the right section, I just wasn't sure what the point of the thread was, from a glance.

Anyway, if you want it, I suggest you wait a bit until the coding action has died down a bit (so maybe a week or three) and try your hand at it yourself. It shouldn't be too difficult to do for SP.

It's the right section, I just wasn't sure what the point of the thread was, from a glance.

Anyway, if you want it, I suggest you wait a bit until the coding action has died down a bit (so maybe a week or three) and try your hand at it yourself. It shouldn't be too difficult to do for SP.

yeah thing is it been a while since I coded (the only coding I done during school days is in linux with language called C and only simple programs where it was easy iirc, just write a text file with .c extention and use gcc command with some options to compile it. no need for "makefiles" or w/e these things are for)

here not only I dont know what language JKA source is made of, but I get the feeling changing from source -> exe aint gonna be a simple thing as typing 1 command-line. in fact it could take waaay more time to compile the damn thing than to just change source grrr

also there gotta be a mistake, I downloaded a zip file supppose to contain source code, but it's only something 1.3Mb big, less then 6mb uncompressed.  how can a Gb of game data be "compressed" in only a few mb??? :blink:

yeah thing is it been a while since I coded (the only coding I done during school days is in linux with language called C and only simple programs where it was easy iirc, just write a text file with .c extention and use gcc command with some options to compile it. no need for "makefiles" or w/e these things are for)

here not only I dont know what language JKA source is made of, but I get the feeling changing from source -> exe aint gonna be a simple thing as typing 1 command-line. in fact it could take waaay more time to compile the damn thing than to just change source grrr

also there gotta be a mistake, I downloaded a zip file supppose to contain source code, but it's only something 1.3Mb big, less then 6mb uncompressed.  how can a Gb of game data be "compressed" in only a few mb??? :blink:

JKA uses C and C++.

Compiling the source is very easy, actually. Using Visual Studio you just click a button in a menu and your code is compiled into the .dll files.

The source code is what it is - source code. Assets such as sounds, models, maps, etc are not part of the source code and are separate, which is why the code is only a few MB.

The source code is what it is - source code. Assets such as sounds, models, maps, etc are not part of the source code and are separate, which is why the code is only a few MB.

duh...ok I didnt realize that ^^ nvm

ok I never done C++ (I understand object oriented prog in concept but never done it in code. in C++ an object is basically a C-structure with function members right.

so anyway, u say it's simple...ok now I checked the source, I suspect the only file I need to change is w_force.c . code looks like a mess tho, with brackets all over the place & to hard to read (no tabulations to mark each loop level ...)

but even if I can change it correctly, does this mean I only need to compile that one file into w_force.dll (or into w_force.o? cause iirc C language likes to make .o files only. then maybe I just rename the .o files into dll or exe or whatever) and then just copy the new w_force.dll or whatever into the right game subfolder over the original file?

like, do I need to compile only 1 file & replace only 1 file?

or do I have to modify one .c file but then recompile the entire game, ALL the .c files (including unmodified ones) into one big exe file (or a bunch of exes & dlls, dunno how this all works. is there a separate dll or exe for each c file or can several c files make 1 single executable? I never done complex programs before)