JA+ How to create different teleport effects

Go to solution Solved by Seto,

Been scouring the web and have only gotten to the point of being able to create a plugin that replaces the clientside effect for tele. What i want is to be able to have more than one usable teleport effect (obv would be done in server side). I am not sure if i would have to create more commands like /amtele2-/amtele3-/amtele4 etc or if this is doable with a script (haven't thought of a way since you can not spawn effects). I got this idea from the guys at School of War. I believe they told me that they were using a modded JA+ to have different effects to noclip. 

That being said is there any way to mod the serverside so noclip is a usable command without cheats too? I know there is no source code for JA+ and JA++ is just a bit unstable on server side IMO right now. SO kinda stuck on what to do from here. Halp.

As I've said once today already,

You must learn to forward code engineer before you reverse code engineer

if you've got coding down pat quite a bit and know the basics behind the game figured out, this isn't totally difficult, but I'm afraid you'd have to explain a bit further what you mean.

Your best bet would be to pester @ about adding in that sort of thing as a feature to JA++ (which last I checked is more stable than JA+? Slider never fixes bugs anymore, so go figure)

Instead of having one universal effect for /amtele i would like for diffrent admins to be able to chose their own effect to use. 

Example:

Mytele: normal beam

Other Admin's Tele: fire burst

Other Admin's Tele: water steam

Other Admin's Tele: Sparks

I have decent understanding of C++ and LUA coding but just have NO clue what to do. 

Also in SOW it was not teleporting that had effects, they had it so NOClip was a usable admin function and all their admins had different effects when they did noclip

• Solution

lol Sorry if I haven't responded to any messages anywhere.  Lately I've been away from all online communications except Steam and Xfire.

As for what you saw on School of War, I made that... it's basically a hack of JA+.  I learned a long time ago (many years) that slider left some beta testing commands inside JA+, and me and BobaFett (well, he did most of the work at that time) once did the same thing for JA+ 2.3 beta 1 on linux only... then a couple years ago, I decided to go back and check the newer versions on windows, and lo and behold, things were still in there.

In simple terms, JA+ has some "locked" admin commands that slider made for beta testing (he told me this himself once) that he didn't remove from the game, but simply made them impossible to use... unless you use a little reverse engineering.  It's actually not too difficult and would probably make for a nice tutorial on codecaving, BUT the noclip feature was not a part of this and took more work on my part to accomplish (and my method is not that elegant or versatile, but it served my purposes).  For that I basically just figured out where in the assembly code the game would check for admin permissions on any command and had the noclip code jump to that spot instead of going to the code that checks for cheat protection (or maybe I rewrote the admin check ASM... I don't remember :/).  At any rate, what you saw on my server was most likely a combination of noclip, invisibility, and efx-playing commands used simultaneously, to give the appearance of a teleport, rather than an actual "new" teleport command (although I like how it turned out because it gives you full control of where you want to "reappear").

In any case, you can't do it without some kind of coding, either adding to an existing mod or hacking something already there.  IIRC, you can almost do it in JA++ now, but I don't remember if there was an actual playefx type of feature being added, or if it was only entspawn.

Carbon likes this