SP Modding help request (Saber holster)

Hey guys! :)

I'm new here, just registered, but I'm already thinking about a single player campaign (later might become a series).

So, what I was thinking about is an addon, which makes the player able to holster his lightsaber (or firearms). The lightsaber is planned to be put on the back of the player (like saw in JA++ in case of staff sabers), but cannot figure out how to do it.
I've already done some experiments with a JA++ integration into SP, but it is likely that something has avoided my attention! :D

So, what should I do? :)

Hmm, that'd be tricky. You could edit the animation for igniting and turning off the lightsaber, for the hilt to be placed on the character's waist, but I could see that running into potential problems at some point, like you couldn't have different spots (like a staff hilt on the player's back, or a regular hilt on the waist).

I'm guessing though you want to have the saber specifically holstered when you switch to a different weapon. That'd take some code editing to SP. You'd want to talk with eezstreet or mr.wonko I think about that.

Yeah...Dusty is right. That would require tons of new animations. You may be able to make a script...but that would be unpractical. There is a script command that adds a model to the player's right or left hand. If you just moved the model's hand tag to the back, and made the model a saber...but you would need a new script for each saber...sorry man.

There's one problem though, when the player switches weapons, wouldn't the hilt model dissappear? Or no? I know normally when you de-ignite the saber, you just have the saber held in the hand until you switch weapons.

Did you want to have the saber held in hand, and then holstered when a different weapon is out, or did you want it to always holster whenever it's turned off?

*cough* SP code edits *cough*  ^_^

//Offtopic slightly

Eez, any chance you could put your code-editing toolset and plugins and what not in a language someone with minimal coding experience can understand? Or is that ridiculously hard (which I would think it is...)? I look at that, and I notice things like if/else statements and other things, but I get lost in all the code/not written in english type things and the weird syntax that only computers and programmers understand.

So I'm guessing when I look at your tools/code and stuff, I'm looking at a toolset for getting to the game code (via reverse engineering), not the actual game code itself ripe for editing?

Anywhoo, maybe you or one of the other coders could help this dude out, maybe port a bit of code from JA+ or something into SP?