Questions about fun_static brushes/eneties and water and ice enenties

I'm dealing with a couple of fun_static brushes/ eneties in the robotics level and Nar Shadda level. In the robotics level the brushes that act as an elevator to get out of the acid for some reason is not starting in the proper place. They keep spawning in the covery belt that the player just gets off of to get into the facility. So how can I fix this? As for the Nar Shadda brush it's the platfrom that moves at the beging of the level. Is there a way have the platform move in this state or do I need to change it to fun_train? I'm also having trouble with the ice not being ice and the water not having texture. How do I fix this?

Func_Static and many other entities of this kind must have an Origin brush inside them – it's a small cube, covered in Origin texture (orange one from System/origin folder), which is part of func_static entity (thus it would include 2 brushes minimum). This serves as the centerpoint for it, when moving via a script command, The elevators, platforms, in some cases ships and even some doors use this, otherwise they'll spawn elsewhere in the map.

Func_trains use Origin brushes as well, if I'm correct, though I rarely use them.

As for Ice and Water textures, here are many options: are these from standard texture packs, or are they the new ones, which you've made by yourself? In either way, you should check the files inside your folders, also the shader files for these textures and the lines inside them. A minor mistake in the path could also be the reason.

Yes, the Origin brush must be part of the elevator. You can select the elevator brushes and the origin brush, then right-click > func > func_static (then add script_targetname). It's also possible simply to add the origin brush into the elevator entity (in some versions of Radiant there is such an option, not sure if it's in older ones).

DF textures – aren't from JA, so they are new in any case. Water shader is complex – it relies on several textures, so should at least one be missing in textures/robo folder – the whole texture would be gone missing. I once had an issue with my own texture – it was in the folder, but the game couldn't see it. The problem was with the JPG type – by accident I saved the file with a CMYK profile, while it must be RGB only. Outside Photoshop I couldn't see the difference.

@NumberWan So I got the ice to work properly now, kyle now slides on it. Still having issues with the water though, some of the water textures do show up in the game but it's solid like this:

image.jpeg.eef9f0594b3ce3b07bb925f421c44471.jpeg

I'm guessing this a problem with shader list and not texture itself? I'm still working on the elevator but a new problem has cropped up. I'm using radiant custom and I keep getting this error message:

image.png.5720a4b8e7a46a0ab08435f01c0d117f.png

it just started doing this, how do I fix this?

4 hours ago, undeadslayer said:

@NumberWan So I got the ice to work properly now, kyle now slides on it. Still having issues with the water though, some of the water textures do show up in the game but it's solid like this:

image.jpeg.eef9f0594b3ce3b07bb925f421c44471.jpeg

I'm guessing this a problem with shader list and not texture itself? I'm still working on the elevator but a new problem has cropped up. I'm using radiant custom and I keep getting this error message:

image.png.5720a4b8e7a46a0ab08435f01c0d117f.png

it just started doing this, how do I fix this?

Well, JA and Radiant not always come on easy. For example if you have textures/robo/water – this could be different, if there are robo/water.jpg, robo/water.png and/or robo/water.tga in a single folder. Also I must say, that texttures from robo folder could be affected not just by robo.shader, for example, but by other shader files, if the textures are mentioned there.

You could try making you own shader, simply by copying these lines, and making the very first somehow unique: textures/robo/waterfall24 – in this case this would probably work.

An important notice: if you have robo.shader at base/shaders folder and you also have the same robo.shader inside a pk3 (e.g. base/assets1.pk3, but see for DF) – the ones inside the archive would override the ones in your folders.

I still can't get the custom water texture to work. So what I'm going to do is just use calk_water, it's not going to show up in game. Still having issues with the "elevator." it's in the right spot now but it's not moving like its suposed to. Any sugestions?