Useable func_bobbing or func_pendulum

Hey every one,

Just wondering if there is a way to make a func_bobbing/pendulum useable with a trigger multiple? Like you can turn it off and it will stop bobbing or penduluming and just be still?

Many thanks (:

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2024 at 2:30 AM, Plague-Angel said:

Hey every one,

Just wondering if there is a way to make a func_bobbing/pendulum useable with a trigger multiple? Like you can turn it off and it will stop bobbing or penduluming and just be still?

Many thanks 🙂

I haven't tried what you seek myself, but it's best to check the properties. While there is a description within GtkRadiant, when you press N, sometimes more information is revealed in general articles about Radiant and Q3 engine specifics. Possible func_bobbing can be turned off via certain triggers, target_delay or target_activate. 

Or via a script – certain commands can render entities inactive. While func_bobbing moves are more smoothly, scripts allow similar ones for func_static,

I think the only way to make them switchable is to simulate the movement with a script to begin with.

The problem with a script is that the acceleration will not be the same as a func_bobbing or func_pendulum. Bobbing/pendulum have a smooth start and smooth stop, whereas scripted movement has a sharp start and smooth stop. 

Personally, I recommend rethinking your solution to not require the use of either of these as switchable items. Even if it just means you use a func_door or func_wall to cover them, that is the better answer.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2024 at 1:09 PM, NAB622 said:

I think the only way to make them switchable is to simulate the movement with a script to begin with.

The problem with a script is that the acceleration will not be the same as a func_bobbing or func_pendulum. Bobbing/pendulum have a smooth start and smooth stop, whereas scripted movement has a sharp start and smooth stop. 

Personally, I recommend rethinking your solution to not require the use of either of these as switchable items. Even if it just means you use a func_door or func_wall to cover them, that is the better answer.

Thank you for your reply.

Maybe scripting is the way to go but I have no  idea how to do that ha ha.

What's bobbing (mega fast) is an engine in a train so wouldn't really work to hide it with a door or wall. Don't mind that it just starts vibrating fast or goes to a dead stop, just want it to stop moving. Guess if anything I'll just have to live with the only switchable thing being is the looped engine sound being shut off.

Thanks again 🙂

On 7/1/2024 at 11:44 PM, NumberWan said:

I haven't tried what you seek myself, but it's best to check the properties. While there is a description within GtkRadiant, when you press N, sometimes more information is revealed in general articles about Radiant and Q3 engine specifics. Possible func_bobbing can be turned off via certain triggers, target_delay or target_activate. 

Or via a script – certain commands can render entities inactive. While func_bobbing moves are more smoothly, scripts allow similar ones for func_static,

Thank you for your reply,

There is an option in the entity info to make it "player_use" however when this is checked all that will happen is it will simply disappear when used and "inactive" does exactly what it says on the tin! 

Back to the drawing board! Thanks though 🙂 

12 minutes ago, Plague-Angel said:

What's bobbing (mega fast) is an engine in a train so wouldn't really work to hide it with a door or wall. Don't mind that it just starts vibrating fast or goes to a dead stop, just want it to stop moving. Guess if anything I'll just have to live with the only switchable thing being is the looped engine sound being shut off.

One other thought, here...does it have to toggle on AND off? If all you need is to turn it off, that is possible. Turning it back on is a problem, though.

Also, would a visual trick suffice? I can think of a method of swapping out the moving part for a stationary one. If the player cannot physically interact with the objects, this might be doable, although a bit janky.