Breakable grate appears white in-game.

I'm trying to create a breakable grate. Well, the grate works in that it breaks into pieces when damaged, but for some reason the shader isn't displaying correctly in-game, it is just a blank white surface.

In GTKRadiant I created a basic brush and applied caulk texture. Then I selected the surface on both sides and applied the bespin/breakable_grate1 shader/texture to the surface with fit 1:1. I made the brush a func_breakable with use_not_break checked and material 12.

I have extracted the shaders in my base folder from the assets file and bespin.shader is in the shader.txt file.

I had it working previously but for some reason it stopped working and rebuilding it from scratch hasn't helped.

shot2023-11-18_17-56-43.jpg

It kind of looks like it's just displaying the lightmap on that brush instead of the shader. If you want to test that, see if a colored light in the room changes the color of the grate.

If it is a glitched lightmap.....I'm not even sure why, or where to start. It's fixable, but there's a *lot* of trial and error involved without some kind of q3map2 warning or error being given.

22 minutes ago, NAB622 said:

It kind of looks like it's just displaying the lightmap on that brush instead of the shader. If you want to test that, see if a colored light in the room changes the color of the grate.

If it is a glitched lightmap.....I'm not even sure why, or where to start. It's fixable, but there's a *lot* of trial and error involved without some kind of q3map2 warning or error being given.

Well. the white lights at the top of the screenshot are connected to a toggle switch. Then the lights that are yellow were connected to the same switch. All I did was disconnect those lights by removing their targetname and change them from white to yellow, and the grate works now.

I've also solved the degenerate T junction warnings by rebuilding a few brushes. I've started logging compiles with the Q3 GUI so that I catch these problems as soon as they happen...

shot2023-11-18_19-54-44.jpg

Smoo likes this