The Star Wars Holiday Special 40th Anniversary

Hey guys, Happy Life Day to you all!!! This year actually marks 40 Years of the notoriously awful Star Wars Holiday Special that aired on CBS in 1978. There are some moments where the scenes show little of the well known main Star Wars characters that we saw on screen, but then the rest of the special focuses on Chewie's family and that is his wife, father, and son named Lumpy. Yeah the special does show some acrobatic performers, some live skits, and of course let's not forget the actual true amazing first appearance of iconic bounty hunter, Boba Fett! His debut was in the animated short "The Pride of a Wookiee", where Luke and the droids find Han and Chewie crash landing on the goopy rivers of Panna, here they encounter a large water creature and then meet Boba Fett along the side. I mean who can never forget Boba Fett talk or using some kind of triple arch-like beam rifle that he never even owns in one of those movies? None other the less it's nice to see him in the Holiday Special about two years before making his live appearance in Empire Strikes Back. So tell me what are your favorite cheesy moments in this special?

The-Star-Wars-Holiday-Special.jpg

Smoo and dg1995 like this
  • 4 weeks later...

There are dozens if not more of reviews of this one. Long before I could watch it, there were many discussions, as well as mems in the Internet. There was even a small fan-made cartoon where Palpatine invites everyone to watch a bad scary movie, which turned up to be Holiday Special.

Yes, people do praise the cartoon about Boba Fett, included in the movie, but it wasn't that good (definitely better than many other things in this film though). It was said, that several really good actors took part in the production, but well, it didn't save the film at all.

Funny thing: some elements from Holiday Special found their way into Star Wars Galaxies, including several characters.

Personally I like this review of Holiday Special:

I don't know how I feel about it. But that Star Wars Rebel Warrior game was cancelled due to this holiday special.Which imo was a good thing since who can relate to a wookie character that can't talk properly ?(Even in Kotor games I hate to talk to wookies)