Need some help - Changing hairstyles for Tompa's Luke (Crait)

Hello there,

So about a month ago, Tompa9 releases his version of Luke (Crait).

I love it, I think it can be better, namely, changing the haircut from his Beatles haircut from Ep.6 to a shortened version of the one he has on Ahch-To.

Now, though he agrees, Tompa is currently focusing on his Movie Duels projects at the moment, so he won't have the time to change it any time soon.

To illustrate my point:

1531506749-unknown.png

(if the colors are wrong, please ignore, I'm color-blind and did this quickly)

As you can see, all that needs doing is removing the mullet and we're done (and re-painting but I've already got a pretty good ideaon how to do that).

I'd like to take a crack at it. Only problem. I got no clue how ^_^.

What I tried to do:

I figured that maybe the model had its original hair with the Ep.6 hair inserted on top of it (like a wig), so I thought "hey, let's remove the hair files" and now I got a bald Luke (Crait). As in, he's been scalped, the top of his head is non-existent.

My guess as to what needs doing:

Somehow importing the hair from "Ahch-To Luke" onto "Crait Luke" after shortening it. Or doing it and shortening it later. In any case, the first order of business is, I'm guessing, giving Luke (Crait) his original head back.

So. Anybody got any ideas how I can go about this and play hair-dresser?

Hell, anybody with more experience wanna try and do this before I do?

I'm on a Mac. I use BetterZip to open my .pk3 files.

What programs do I need? What files do I delete/create? I'm pretty new to this, I mostly focus on modifying skins rather than models, so if you could be detailed that'd be awesome.

Thanks for the help!

And may the Force be with you.