Ideas about the combat in Jedi Academy.

I have been considering that instead of having to choose among three styles of lightsaber: single, dual and staff, it would have been better to acquire the three styles and choose the most efficient according to the situation. For example: against shooters, you would use dual lightsabers and against melee opponents, you joint the two sabers and you would form a staff. I do not see the advantage of using a single saber, since I do not see sense in the blue, yellow and red styles, because the lightsaber causes damage not by the force that the wielder prints on the blow, but by the extreme temperature of the blade, so move it slowly or quickly, it will do the same damage, which leads us to that you would to not having to move the saber backwards to hit forward, but move the blade towards the opponent, that lightsabers are not like swords. If you face a single melee fighter, the dual or the staff still have an advantage, so the single would be reduced to when you do not have another saber.

It boils down to JK being a game, and "realism" (sci-fi and realism, I know..) often has to be sacrificed to make a fun game. This is particularly true for MP against other humans.

I believe that being able to alternate between dual and staff would not make the game less fun, but more diverse and atractive. And move the lightsaber without having to take impulse would be a major change but it would not make combat less fun. That does not have to be confused with making the saber kill on contact, something that would make fighting less fun and there are several justifications for resisting saber blows, like cortosis armors or Force shields.

• 4 weeks later...

You would want to use swings against another saberist though. Even if the cut would do maximum damage in touch, you still have to touch the other person. Knowing how to cut to control the center line is very important in fencing.

Although swings would be unusual, because it would not be necessary to back off the lightsaber to hit someone.

Someone pushing their saber forward from a forward guard will not have the same power that someone who is cutting from a retracted guard.

That is not so for the lightsaber, whose power is above all due to the temperature of the blade.

Not in saber locks. Or other saber on saber scenarios.

That's true, but you would have to try to hit the opponent, not her / his lightsaber, changing the fighting styles that are based in the swords.

You absolutely would hit your opponents saber! Yes the goal is to hit the person, so you swing at them, BOOM! they block your saber! Now what? You could start using windings to keep attaching their openings. And those moves will be determined by the amount of pressure they are applying to your saber. If they press hard then you can use schnappen to strike around them. If they press lightly then you go in hard and take the center line with a zwerchau.

You absolutely would hit your opponents saber! Yes the goal is to hit the person, so you swing at them, BOOM! they block your saber! Now what? You could start using windings to keep attaching their openings. And those moves will be determined by the amount of pressure they are applying to your saber. If they press hard then you can use schnappen to strike around them. If they press lightly then you go in hard and take the center line with a zwerchau.

But the red style would have no place, which is another idea of my post, since one would not reduce the speed of the lightsaber, but would try to hit as fast as possible.

The jo/ja saber styles should not be referenced if we're talking about how sabers should really behave. They are not based off any real sword play and are balanced around the games mechanics.

In my initial comment I referred to the combat styles of JA and JO, which would have to be replaced by two sabers, staff and single or other styles not differentiated by speed.

D'oh!

Then I've been arguing from the perspective that you were talking about real fencing with jo/ja terms.

You can make the saber do full damage while idle and use a stance animation mod that brings the saber point forward, and attack by wiggling the mouse. It's fun for a while and effective since the AI doesn't see an idle saber as a threat.