Replacing Kyle Katarn or other NPC's in Jedi Academy

Go look at the Tutorials Section. It will tell you all you need to know about model/npc replacement. This should start you off;

https://jkhub.org/tutorials/article/146-the-basics-of-npc-files/

Still don't understand I just download a obi wan skin and want to replace that with kyle katarn, I have opened assets1.pk3 and there's 5 files on kyle folder but the obi wan skin is only 1 file, just want to replace a downloaded skin with an npc

Brother the npc folder is empty, what do I do?

you put in a .npc file in it from assets1 or whatever and then rename it to whatever, then edit the file with notepad or any text editor then change the model line to what you want

You need to read and understand the NPC tutorial, then create an NPC file or extract the Kyle NPC from the "assets" files and modify it to point to your model

Kyle
{
	playerModel	[YourModel]

}

then add that NPC to your model pk3 file (under ext_data\npcs folder). Below you can see Kyle replaced with Master kota.

2iu2kbr.png

Smoo likes this

You need to read and understand the NPC tutorial, then create an NPC file or extract the Kyle NPC from the "assets" files and modify it to point to your model

Kyle
{
	playerModel	[YourModel]

}

then add that NPC to your model pk3 file (under ext_data\npcs folder). Below you can see Kyle replaced with Master kota.

2iu2kbr.png

Ok bro Im really close I already extract the npc file of kyle, I don't want to edit anything about his abilities, now when you say "modify it to point to your model" you mean on the notepad I need to put the name of the new skin for kyle? for example "Gungan_and_Jar_Jar_in_Jedi_robes.pk3" and place it again on  (under ext_data\npcs folder)

Inside the pk3 of your model, there should be a folder "models\player\YourModel". The NPC should point to that mode, not the name of the pk3 file. By default, it will use the "model_default.skin" file for the model skin. If your model has multiple skins and you want to use a skin that is not the default, you will need to add another to the NPC.

For example:

your model has the following skin files:

• model_default.skin
  • model_damaged.skin
  • model_blue.skin

and you want to your model to load with the "damaged" skin instead of the default skin you will need:

Kyle
{
	playerModel		YourModelNameHere
	customSkin		damaged
}

(noticed that the skin name in the NPC does not includes the word "model_", just whatever name it has after that)

Inside the pk3 of your model, there should be a folder "models\player\YourModel". The NPC should point to that mode, not the name of the pk3 file. By default, it will use the "model_default.skin" file for the model skin. If your model has multiple skins and you want to use a skin that is not the default, you will need to add another to the NPC.

For example:

your model has the following skin files:

• model_default.skin
  • model_damaged.skin
  • model_blue.skin

and you want to your model to load with the "damaged" skin instead of the default skin you will need:

Kyle
{
	playerModel		YourModelNameHere
	customSkin		damaged
}

(noticed that the skin name in the NPC does not includes the word "model_", just whatever name it has after that)

So in this case I only need to change the name? and replace it on the npcs folder

So in this case I only need to change the name? and replace it on the npcs folder

I guess so. That depends on your model and how you want it to load. If you want it to load with the default skin, then yes.

Here is a screenshot of Kota replacement for Kyle

2006uzt.jpg

and here is the NP. You can see "playermodel" points to "kota" which is the name of the folder of the model and since I am not using any custom skins, there is no "customskin" line below the model name.

If I wanted to sue the "model_blind.skin instead of the default one, I could add the "customskin" and point it to "blind"

Kyle
{
	playerModel		kota
	rank			commander
	health			1000
	weapon	WP_SABER
	saberStyle		1
	saberStyle		3
	saberStyle		2
	FP_HEAL			3
	FP_LEVITATION		3
	FP_SPEED		3
	FP_PUSH			3
	FP_PULL			3
	FP_TELEPATHY		3
	FP_GRIP			3
	FP_LIGHTNING		2
	FP_SABERTHROW		3
	FP_RAGE			0
	FP_PROTECT		3
	FP_ABSORB		3
	FP_DRAIN		0
	FP_SEE			3
	FP_SABER_DEFENSE 	3
	FP_SABER_OFFENSE 	3
	forcePowerMax		200
	reactions		4
	aim			5
	move			3
	aggression		5
	evasion			5
	intelligence		5
	playerTeam		TEAM_PLAYER
	class			CLASS_KYLE
	snd			kyle
	sndcombat		kyle
	sndjedi			kyle
	dismemberProbHead	0
	dismemberProbArms	0
	dismemberProbHands	0
	dismemberProbLegs	0
	dismemberProbWaist	0
}

Seems you are trying to change the Security Permissions.

• Right click on the file.
  • Select "Properties"
  • In the General Tab make sure "read only" is not selected.

Also check my previous comment about the file extension.

Yeah red only is now is not selected and now it let me overwrite the file, and I replace it with the original kyleon npcs folder on assets, I will try the game if it made the changes

• Select "Properties"

Kyle is an stormtrooper, question: do I need to replace the kyle model_Default.skin file with the new model that I want?

Kyle is an stormtrooper, question: do I need to replace the kyle model_Default.skin file with the new model that I want?

When you call an NPC and the NPC fails to load (for whatever reason), it always shows a stormtrooper.

You shouldn't be replacing anything.....You should only modify the NPC of your model (or create a new NPC file if it didn't had one). If you upload your file somewhere and  send me the link, I can try to look at it.

• Select "Properties"

This is what I did: Extract the kyle file on npc folder,  Replace name of the kyle file in the notepad with the new model name (kyle and kyle_boss inside the notepad) save it and place it on the npcs folder (already did a backup of kyle folder)

This is what I did: Extract the kyle file on npc folder,  Replace name of the kyle file in the notepad with the new model name (kyle and kyle_boss inside the notepad) save it and place it on the npcs folder (already did a backup of kyle folder) and thats it, did I miss something?

From which folder? From your model PK3 folder? Can you open your mod in packscape and take a screenshot with all the folders expanded? Also, paste the contents of your NPC file?

OK, I looked at the model. You need to:

• open the model with packscape.
  • Expand all the folders (at least expand "ext_data\npcs")
  • drag and drop your new NPC file into the npcs folder - your npc should point to either "Kylo-Ren" or "Kylo-Ren2"
  • save the file.

I didn't tested the model but for what I can see, for the "Kylo-Ren" version, the default model will have the hood up. If you want to use it with the hood down, you will need to add the "customskin" line and point it to "hooddwn" (yes, it has a missing"o").