Replacing Kyle Katarn or other NPC's in Jedi Academy

From which folder? From your model PK3 folder? Can you open your mod in packscape and take a screenshot with all the folders expanded? Also, paste the contents of your NPC file?

assets1.pk3 (ext_data/npcs) I extract the kyle file from there opened with notepad and make the name change and replace it on (ext_data/npcs) I don't have packscape, but a question: my new model needs a .npc file? it seems that the obi wan model doesn't have one I don't know if that's the case, Im using winrar, what mod and what npc file?

OK, I looked at the model. You need to:

• open the model with packscape.
  • Expand all the folders (at least expand "ext_data\npcs")
  • drag and drop your new NPC file into the npcs folder - your npc should point to either "Kylo-Ren" or "Kylo-Ren2"
  • save the file.

I didn't tested the model but for what I can see, for the "Kylo-Ren" version, the default model will have the hood up. If you want to use it with the hood down, you will need to add the "customskin" line and point it to "hooddwn" (yes, it has a missing"o").

what do you mean with expand? and the last answer I made it without realizing that you answer lol

assets1.pk3 (ext_data/npcs) I extract the kyle file from there opened with notepad and make the name change and replace it on (ext_data/npcs) I don't have packscape, but a question: my new model needs a .npc file? it seems that the obi wan model doesn't have one I don't know if that's the case, Im using winrar, what mod and what npc file?

Hope you made a backup of the assets1.pk3 file before doing any changes. You should *** never *** modify the "assets" files. The changes should always be made to the custom pk3 you are trying to use (that's why I always refer to "your model"...your model's pk3 file).

Also, sometimes JKA doesn't likes when mods are modified with Winrar or winzip. Always use packscape to save your files. You can find it at https://jkhub.org/files/file/89-pakscape/.

Hope you made a backup of the assets1.pk3 file before doing any changes. You should *** never *** modify the "assets" files. The changes should always be made to the custom pk3 you are trying to use (that's why I always refer to "your model"...your model's pk3 file).

Yeah made a backup of the file, alright, but what do you mean with expand, so i need to extract the kylo-ren.npc and put it on the npcs folder from assets1.pk3 without replacing the name?

Yeah made a backup of the file, alright, but what do you mean with expand, so i need to extract the kylo-ren.npc and put it on the npcs folder from assets1.pk3 without replacing the name?

Ok i will use the packscape right now

Also, sometimes JKA doesn't likes when mods are modified with Winrar or winzip. Always use packscape to save your files. You can find it at https://jkhub.org/files/file/89-pakscape/.

Ok Im close Im on target, do I need to put kylo-ren file on (ext_data/npcs folder from assets1.pk3 or the ext_data folder from the base folder?)

Wait... I don't understand Im already on kylo-ren npc folder, im copying the kyloren from that folder

you could:

option #1 - copy the kylo-ren.npc from the Kylo Ren model somewhere on your computer, make whatever changes you want, then copy it back to the same folder where you extracted it from.

option #2 - copy it to your folder, rename the copy to "kyle.npc", modify the "new" kyle.npc then copy it to the original npcs folder inside the Kylo ren model. That way you still can call the Kylo-ren.npc while using the the kyle.npc to replace Kyle.

Option #3 - use the Kyle.npc file extracted from the assets1.pk3 and make trhe changes, then copy the kyle.npc in the "\ext|date\npcs" folder of the Kylo Ren pk3.

you need to copy the kylo-ren.npc from the Kylo Ren model somewhere on your computer, make whatever changes you want, then copy it back to the same folder where you extracted it from.

Alternatively, you could copy it to your folder, rename the copy to "kyle.npc", modify the "new" kyle.npc then copy it to the original npcs folder inside the Kylo ren model. That way you still can call the Kylo-ren.npc while using the the kyle.npc to replace Kyle.

then copy it back to the same folder where you extracted it from. = You mean putting the kyloren.npc on the npc folder from assets1.pk3? or kyloren npc folder if that is the case what im only doing is extracting the kylo-ren.npc to desktop and then put it back to kylo-ren.npc? what? 

you could:

option #1 - copy the kylo-ren.npc from the Kylo Ren model somewhere on your computer, make whatever changes you want, then copy it back to the same folder where you extracted it from.

option #2 - copy it to your folder, rename the copy to "kyle.npc", modify the "new" kyle.npc then copy it to the original npcs folder inside the Kylo ren model. That way you still can call the Kylo-ren.npc while using the the kyle.npc to replace Kyle.

Option #3 - use the Kyle.npc file extracted from the assets1.pk3 and make trhe changes, then copy the kyle.npc in the "\ext|date\npcs" folder of the Kylo Ren pk3.

Im going for option 3, already made all of that and now where do i need to put the Kylo Ren (Unmasked) TFA.pk3 file?

then copy it back to the same folder where you extracted it from. = You mean putting the kyloren.npc on the npc folder from assets1.pk3? or kyloren npc folder if that is the case what im only doing is extracting the kylo-ren.npc to desktop and then put it back to kylo-ren.npc? what? 

Dude, you are not getting it. NEVER make ANY changes to the assets1.pk3 file..NEVER. It has to be placed in the "ext_data\npcs" folder of the custom model...in this case the "ext_data\npcs" of the Kylo Ren pk3.

Im going for option 3, already made all of that and now where do i need to put the Kylo Ren (Unmasked) TFA.pk3 file?

put the "Kylo Ren (Unmasked) TFA.pk" in the "\GameData\base" of your Jedi Academy folder. JA loads the mods in alphabetic order so make sure it load  late so it is not overwritten in the game. You can do that by renaming it to something like "zzzz-Kylo Ren (Unmasked) TFA.pk" 

put the "Kylo Ren (Unmasked) TFA.pk" in the "\GameData\base" of your Jedi Academy folder. JA loads the mods in alphabetic order so make sure it load  late so it is not overwritten in the game. You can do that by renaming it to something like "zzzz-Kylo Ren (Unmasked) TFA.pk" 

Stay on target, stay on target *shoots missiles* *Death Star EXPLODES* YES I did it, lol that was the problem, I miss out to put the kylo ren unmasked tfa.pk on base folder and change the name of the file on npcs folder, thats all, thank you for your patience dude, still can't believe you help till the end lol, thank you

Stay on target, stay on target *shoots missiles* *Death Star EXPLODES* YES I did it, lol that was the problem, I miss out to put the kylo ren unmasked tfa.pk on base folder and change the name of the file on npcs folder, thats all, thank you for your patience dude, still can't believe you help till the end lol, thank you

Great! Glad you did it. Going through the process is the best way to learn. I joined The Hub several months back looking for some advise in a color issue I had with some blades. The great people here recommended me to use OpenJK and JA became a new game for me again. 

I've learned some great stuff here how the models work reading the tutorials, then learned a little bit about "Frankensteining/Kitbashing" and I am having some fun here: 

and now I am trying to learn how to model but my time and resources are very limited so is been a sow process for me.

Great! Glad you did it. Going through the process is the best way to learn. I joined The Hub several months back looking for some advise in a color issue I had with some blades. The great people here recommended me to use OpenJK and JA became a new game for me again. 

I've learned some great stuff here how the models work reading the tutorials, then learned a little bit about "Frankensteining/Kitbashing" and I am having some fun here: 

and now I am trying to learn how to model but my time and resources are very limited so is been a sow process for me.

That's great bro I will read it, Yeah I'm trying to learn on gta 5 too how to make new models or modify peds, is not easy

Just a last question brother and really is the last one: If a skin that I download doesn't have an ext_data/npcs folder, it means that it can't be a npc right?

It means ot currently doesn't supports npcs....but lt could...you just need to create it. You can do the same thing you just did. You can create the folders locally, add the NPC(s) files with your character preferences/settings and then drag the folder into the pk3. The ext_data should be at the "root" level of your pk3. You can view the kylo ren you just used and see the folder structure.

It means ot currently doesn't supports npcs....burlt it could...you just need to create it. You can do the same thing you just did. You can create the folders locally, add the NPC(s) files with your character preferences/settings and then drag the folder into the pk3. The ext_data should be at the "root" level of your pk3. You can view the kylo ren you just used and see the folder structure.

Alright thank you very much, may the force be with you