Feature Request

ChalklYne

Hello. In Q3 the md3's had animation.cfg. In JKA that feature seems to be disabled and instead the Ghoul2 models have that feature. Since @@Archangel35757 has produced such helpful plugins pertaining to animated md3's... it would be incredible to have said animated md3's accept animation.cfg and animevents.cfg so the animated md3's could have anim sets, sounds, and effects. Since JKA is a modified Q3/4 application... I would imagine this not being an extremely difficult request, especially compared to the benefits. I also know that Open JK has a mission of preserving backwards compatibility, and I don't think adding this feature back would disturb that goal. If it does, however, seem to be outside of the realm of Open Jk's scope, then maybe this request can at least get some developers' gears turning on how exactly this would be accomplished and maybe they can shed some light on the subject in this post. Thank you.

Archangel35757 likes this

It would be a task of modifying misc_model_breakable to load animation.cfg.

Animevents on a map ent? That may be more difficult, dunno.

Loading the cfgs for md3's weren't disabled, it's the fact that ghoul2 models were set to load instead of md3 as player models. Also, Jka uses a slightly different animation.cfg than q3. Jka uses anim names, q3 uses anim numbers.

ChalklYne likes this

It would be a task of modifying misc_model_breakable to load animation.cfg.

Animevents on a map ent? That may be more difficult, dunno.

Loading the cfgs for md3's weren't disabled, it's the fact that ghoul2 models were set to load instead of md3 as player models. Also, Jka uses a slightly different animation.cfg than q3. Jka uses anim names, q3 uses anim numbers.

If I were to attempt this... I would make them use the same style animation.cfg file as STEF and Jedi Knight.  When I renamed all of the "Grand_Pappy" root nodes to "model_root" in the Klingon dotXSI 1.1 root.xsi and animations and compiled them to GLM/GLA, I created an animation.cfg file from Assimilate and that cfg file loads the animations perfectly into MD3View with the original STEF lower.mdr and upper.mdr files.  However, this is not a top priority for me and I would be open to collaboration.  :winkthumb:

ChalklYne likes this

This feature can be implemented in a mod, hence not really an OpenJK goal.

Loading "head-torso-legs" type md3 models requires a fair amount of extra work. And I'm not sure you could get it working easily for a map entity.

Mind you, when I attempted to bring ETF over to JKA, I was able to get the md3 player models working, however it uses some extra stuff besides animation.cfg , plus you have to do some funky shit with player model entities so that the game doesn't boom on missing a ghoul2 reference. I no longer have the code so I can't check.

ChalklYne likes this

This feature can be implemented in a mod, hence not really an OpenJK goal.

Loading "head-torso-legs" type md3 models requires a fair amount of extra work. And I'm not sure you could get it working easily for a map entity.

Mind you, when I attempted to bring ETF over to JKA, I was able to get the md3 player models working, however it uses some extra stuff besides animation.cfg , plus you have to do some funky shit with player model entities so that the game doesn't boom on missing a ghoul2 reference. I no longer have the code so I can't check.

Maybe if the models used ROFs & scripting for locomotion (if they are not a static animated assembly) and not anything like the player movement code.