Is this an animation bug or intentional?

I only noticed this recently but I don't know if it's by design or not: Whenever I use level 3 Force Speed in Jedi Outcast, slashing downward in the Medium style has some weird animation where the lightsaber flips around when chopping downwards, meaning I only stab directly below me rather than slightly in front of me. This can get annoying when I'm using Force Speed to attack someone lying on the ground as I can't stab far enough to actually hit them. This doesn't happen with the Strong or Fast stances, so I'm thinking it's a bug, but at the same time I did a fresh install twice (I have the GOG version) and it's still there.

I feel like I'm the only one having this problem as no one else has ever reported it based on what I've seen online so I'm posting here to see if there's just some weird anomaly with my computer or something. I never noticed it before so I feel like something has changed but I don't know what.

Come to think of it, I should've done so in the original post. My apologies.

https://vid.me/FchZ

Here's a link to a video I recorded. As you can see, the normal Medium style slash is a forward motion whereas the Force Speed version has the lightsaber kinda flip around and only hit a small area in front of me, making it hard to actually hit anything on the ground. And it only happens with Medium style. Both Fast and Strong style work as normal with Force Speed.

I feel like it's a bug but I did a fresh reinstall and I only noticed it recently, so I don't know if it's some glitchiness between the game and my OS or something.

Smoo likes this

Looks like a bug to me. The speed effect shouldn't screw with animation, just alter the play speed.

I have no idea why it happens. I reinstalled the game fresh and it's still going on. Anyone else experience this issue?

Wonder if it's something wrong with the files on GOG's end, or if it's some issue with my OS (I'm using Windows 10).

EDIT: Where are the animation files stored? Could I potentially mod it or fix it using someone else's working file? Or would that be considered illegal file sharing?

Maybe because the movements is sped up as well as the OP not having saber trails enabled?

@@gameragodzilla try recording again but this time enable saber trails.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that? If you mean the burn marks the lightsaber leaves, I have that.

Here's how it looks with me (Steam version):

Which Force Speed level are you using? For me, the weird saber attacking is most pronounced with Force Speed 3.

The source code is out, so it could be fixed. I tested setting g_saberAnimSpeed to something low and it plays without glitching in force speed 3. So we can assume it happens because of some animSpeed modifier in the source code.

Searched around for "animSpeed", "FP_SPEED" and looked through the saber functions, but didn't find much of relevance to the saber speed.

Perhaps this is related (see screenshot below), if the 'weaponTime' addition makes the saber go faster (and in the case of that swing, too fast), though I thought that was only related to the time before the weapon is fireable again. Wherever it is, it might be solved by setting an upper cap on the animation speed whenever you do that that particular saber move.

5ILYk7e.png

Smoo and gameragodzilla like this

The source code is out, so it could be fixed. I tested setting g_saberAnimSpeed to something low and it plays without glitching in force speed 3. So we can assume it happens because of some animSpeed modifier in the source code.

Searched around for "animSpeed", "FP_SPEED" and looked through the saber functions, but didn't find much of relevance to the saber speed.

Perhaps this is related (see screenshot below), if the 'weaponTime' addition makes the saber go faster (and in the case of that swing, too fast), though I thought that was only related to the time before the weapon is fireable again. Wherever it is, it might be solved by setting an upper cap on the animation speed whenever you do that that particular saber move.

5ILYk7e.png

I see. I assume if I just directly change g_saberAnimSpeed, it becomes too slow regularly.

Wonder if there are animation mods around. I think I've seen some here and there but I don't know if they actually fix this nor do I know if they mess around with gameplay.

The best you could do is request this small edit be made for OpenJK, it's the game engine that's going to replace the base vanilla game. Not a whole lot of people run the original game engine anymore.

Fair enough. This would definitely be something for the guys working on that to keep in mind, then.

Though I assume Academy gets most of the development mod wise so it might be a while before it gets fixed?

Any animation mod will of course change the gameplay (not necessarily in a way that matters though), as there isn't a dedicated server in singleplayer to have authority over your character and the saber.

Fair enough, but I meant more along the lines of it changing a bunch of other things as well rather than just fixing this small bug. Though I don't even know if it's really considered a bug since everyone seems to have it.

Boothand likes this