The progression in deflecting blaster shots.

In Jedi Academy as your defenses increase, you are more probable to deflect the frontal blaster shots. But there is one thing I do not like about this system: even with a single shooter in front, it is possible to be hit by the blasters shots, which does not seem appropriate, although it is an improvement if we compare it to Jedi Outcast.

My system of progression in defenses would not be based on the odds of not being hit by frontal shots, but on the number of shooters who shoot you at the same time and the rate of fire of their weapons. Thus level one would allow you to deflect only the frontal shots of a shooter, level two would allow you to deflect the shots of two shooters or shots of a weapon of great cadence of fire of a shooter, and so on.

What do you think?

Maybe something like a 'health bar' for your saber defence that restores 'health' at a set speed. The higher your force level, the faster the regeneration. When you block too many bullets and it's below 0, you get hit.

Though I kind of like it when you just have to aim really well to block bullets. Like the bar fight in Nar Shaddaa in Jedi Outcast, you're surrounded and have to act really quickly and aim your saber. Maybe the difficulty level (Padawan - Jedi master) could increase and decrease the threshold needed for blocking the shot. I guess some levels could be too easy though if everyone is in front, but most of the JK2 levels are pretty challenging and spread the enemies around.

Maybe something like a 'health bar' for your saber defence that restores 'health' at a set speed. The higher your force level, the faster the regeneration. When you block too many bullets and it's below 0, you get hit.

Though I kind of like it when you just have to aim really well to block bullets. Like the bar fight in Nar Shaddaa in Jedi Outcast, you're surrounded and have to act really quickly and aim your saber. Maybe the difficulty level (Padawan - Jedi master) could increase and decrease the threshold needed for blocking the shot. I guess some levels could be too easy though if everyone is in front, but most of the JK2 levels are pretty challenging and spread the enemies around.

A stamina bar? That may be okay, but if there is only one shooter firing, a Jedi could deflect him / her shots indefinitely.

In addition, in Jedi Outcast does not need to aim to deflect blaster shots, because if you have enemies in front, you deflect all their shots even though there are many enemies firing simultaneously. That is why Jedi Academy seems to me an improvement on this topic, although the progression in deflecting blaster shots is still improvable.

A stamina bar? That may be okay, but if there is only one shooter firing, a Jedi could deflect him / her shots indefinitely.

In addition, in Jedi Outcast does not need to aim to deflect blaster shots, because if you have enemies in front, you deflect all their shots even though there are many enemies firing simultaneously. That is why Jedi Academy seems to me an improvement on this topic, although the progression in deflecting blaster shots is still improvable.

Yeah, would be 'too easy' vs only one opponent I guess. In JK2, some of the challenge is to attack them at the right time after they shoot, especially vs bowcasters, otherwise you might lose most of your HP if they get a shot while you're winding up your attack.

I guess what I mean is when there are multiple opponents (not in a corridor, but in bigger rooms) they tend to spread out and you have to aim around to block them. Not sure how it's like in Jedi Academy.

Yeah, would be 'too easy' vs only one opponent I guess. In JK2, some of the challenge is to attack them at the right time after they shoot, especially vs bowcasters, otherwise you might lose most of your HP if they get a shot while you're winding up your attack.

I guess what I mean is when there are multiple opponents (not in a corridor, but in bigger rooms) they tend to spread out and you have to aim around to block them. Not sure how it's like in Jedi Academy.

In Jedi Academy it is different, because the stormtroopers usually stay in the place where they have seen you and are not look cover or try to flank you. However, if you are in front of a single hostile gunner, you may be hit even if you do not attack, because the defense system of JA is based on the probabilities of deflecting shots, and they are never equal to one hundred percent. I would prefer a system based on the number of gunners or presence of quick firing weapons instead of that for evolve the defense against shots.

• 1 month later...

Interesting idea. You could have a probability that starts at 100% and drops for each shot blocked. Then have that probability constantly refreshing itself, back up towards 100% at a constant rate. Like, say each shot deflected takes 5% off of the block %, and it goes back up by 1%/server frame. So as long as you're only blocking 2 shots per second, you're blocking % stays high. So blocking one guy or slow-firing weapons is a sure thing. But a very rapid fire weapon or many, many enemies quickly exhausts your ability to accurately block and some will start to get through the longer you block.

Combine this with the manual g_saberAutoBlocking 0 feature and the +block key binding and that could be pretty cool.

Cerez and Mizore like this