Cutscene subtitles

Can anyone walk me through the process of adding subtitles to cutscenes? My SP mod won't have any voice actors, so I need subtitles. So far I've done this:

1. I have a series of empty wav files of various lengths that I have in a folder, base\sound\chars\ds_sp_cinematics. These files were made from base\sound\null.wav, all of them are 32 bit float wavs, mono, 11025 Hz.

2. I have a cutscene script that uses the affect command on various NPCs when I want them to say something. I play a sound inside the affect block that uses the voice channel, the sound is one of the blank wav files from the folder I listed before.

3. I have a str file in my base\strings\English folder, ds_sp_intro.str. I copied my str file from one of the default ones. In the reference line I have the name of the sound file used in the script, and obviously on the lang_english line I have the text I want to display in the subtitles when that sound file is played.

But when I start the level, there are no subtitles. And I do have subtitles enabled for cinematics. Is there a good tutorial out there for this? And how does the game figure out which sound file is being referenced in the str files without the absolute path to the files being specified? Does it just scan through all the files in the base\sound\char folders? That can't be right, can it? Am I missing a step?

Can anyone walk me through the process of adding subtitles to cutscenes? My SP mod won't have any voice actors, so I need subtitles. So far I've done this:

1. I have a series of empty wav files of various lengths that I have in a folder, base\sound\chars\ds_sp_cinematics. These files were made from base\sound\null.wav, all of them are 32 bit float wavs, mono, 11025 Hz.

2. I have a cutscene script that uses the affect command on various NPCs when I want them to say something. I play a sound inside the affect block that uses the voice channel, the sound is one of the blank wav files from the folder I listed before.

3. I have a str file in my base\strings\English folder, ds_sp_intro.str. I copied my str file from one of the default ones. In the reference line I have the name of the sound file used in the script, and obviously on the lang_english line I have the text I want to display in the subtitles when that sound file is played.

But when I start the level, there are no subtitles. And I do have subtitles enabled for cinematics. Is there a good tutorial out there for this? And how does the game figure out which sound file is being referenced in the str files without the absolute path to the files being specified? Does it just scan through all the files in the base\sound\char folders? That can't be right, can it? Am I missing a step?

Not completely sure here, but you might have to make sure that the .str containing the subtitles is correctly named after the level.

As for the rest, it seems OK. Another possibility I can think of is to put the sound files in folders named after the levels, but I'm not sure that's required.

Maybe this could be of help.

Checked out the tutorial, subtitles still aren't working. I wonder if it might have something to do with the encoding of the string file?

It's strange.

Let's rule out the possibility of incorrect audio files - make sure every path is set up correctly and try replacing one or few with base voices, and see if that works.