The Shortcomings of Blender

@@mrwonko, you've mentioned in my nonsense thread that you've noticed Blender falls short in certain areas. I know this is largely a personal preferences, and extent of knowledge and practice with the tool question, but I'm interested in your experiences, and in anyone else's who's felt that Blender didn't do a good enough job in a certain working area, and/or wasn't the optimal tool for the task.

As any other professional software, Blender has a lot going for it, but it would be interesting to see where it falls short in its functions and design, currently.

My recent Blender-mania, and joking aside, I'm always interested to see both the potential strengths and weaknesses of any tool used.

As much as I love it, the outliner is really hard to understand for me. I want to select things, re-order the hierarchy, parent things, drag things around. There is perhaps a way, but since I can't figure it out by trial and error, I'd consider this a convention-breaking shortcoming.

Cerez likes this

Off the top of my head, a mix of both common criticism and my own experience:

• The whole UI has a steep learning curve; being fully customizable has its drawbacks.
  • When in object mode, one undo erases all the changes made in edit mode. From a programmer's point of view I can see why this is, and I occasionally use it to my advantage, but it makes it really easy to lose work.
  • The reference counting resource user system is really weird to non-programmers as well.
  • Right click to select
  • Can't edit vertex normals
  • Can't weight empties
  • Can't display vertex indices let alone set them
  • More stuff I'm forgetting
Cerez and Boothand like this

Off the top of my head, a mix of both common criticism and my own experience:

• Right click to select

I think this comes as a trend from some older operating systems. It is easily changeable to the modern standard left click select in the File > User Preferences > Input tab. In the left-hand-side menu, under "Mouse" in the "Select with" option click "Left", and click "Save User Settings" at the bottom left of the window.

Which brings us to: the settings user interface could be more modern standard-like. There's really no need for the "Save User Settings" button, for example. It just complicates things when people miss noticing it.

• More stuff I'm forgetting

Feel free to chip in with extra, whenever you remember them.

I'm not saying it doesn't work, and after 10 years I'm used to it, but it's not intuitive for beginners.

Oh, definitely. It was what scared me off and gave me a bad impression of Blender at first, actually. And it's the first thing I changed once I've decided to start learning it.

It's as far from intuitive as it can possibly get when starting out.