JKO modding tutorials needed (npcs specifically)

I'm in a confusing predicament. So, I made a post earlier asking why certain models don't work in JKO. I fixed that. So now, I have another question that is probably going to be easily answered: How do you make an NPC in JKO? I know it's done in Notepad, usually, but everything looks really complex and I only know about modding for Jedi Academy, so I'm sort of stuck at the moment.... :( 

Let's say I have a model that the author has given permission to modify; Well, that's the thing. I don't know HOW to modify. I have models I'd really like to make NPCs of, but I don't know how. Anyone have any help for me? If so, thank you.

.npc files are only used in jka. In JO you need to take the npc.cfg file from the assets0.pk3. Then uncheck 'read only' in it's propreties, add your changes and save it in a new pk3 file with a name alphabetically below the assets0 so that it's read after the core files to perform the overwriting.

In JO, the editing is different. You can't simply change the npcs weapon in the file, for one instance. So, let's say, if you wanted a stormtrooper with a lightsaber and a jedi behavior you'd have to mix your custom npc's name with the name of the other you want it to behave like. For example, in this case you would have to name it "jedi_stormtrooper".

Yup, JKA was more modding-friendly overall than JO and it's the only game I mod for, altough in their vannila state I prefer JO for it's plot; Jedi Academy's lightsaber system and slightly better graphics would be the only things I'd miss.