Is this still being worked on?

Is this still being developed? What are the odds of a online RPG coming from this mod? I get that there are 4 phases but is it wishful thinking at this point to reach the last one?
Wouldnt it have been easier to just reduce the scope? Rather then a ton of weapons and updates to them, putting focus on only quest-rpg-inventory-32 players-progression system (no more) and let people kinda do their own thing (think Lugormod meets DayZ-ish).
A mod similar to MB2 in terms of scale mightve been more likely to pull off. But the whole MMO aspect makes it seem too big. Couldnt the focus have been placed at getting the RPG aspect to work online with 32 players and then release updates to update guns and such rather than doing it the opposite way?

Im really talking out of my ass now, I just wish this mod the best. Obviously im no developer :P

Smoo likes this

That's really the point of the phase system, focusing on the biggest mechanics of each phase that are still major features of the more RPG-like phases of the mod. The new vendor system that was just coded into the game uses what we call a Treasure Class, this is something that can be used for Vendors, Loot drops, What weapon an NPC will spawn with etc. This is a small, but crucial feature to an RPG.

The Damage Type system I concepted ties into giving a reason to wear armor and give purpose to each weapon as opposed to "get whatever you can afford that you can do the most damage with", you still have the freedom of choice of what to equip yourself with, but with damage types, armor, shields (think Republic Commando here), your choices have meaning.

In terms of adding more weapons into the game (I know I know, enough already!) I'm pretty much purely focused on making sure that there's a decent variety of each of the weapon types (such as the pulse pistol I modeled tonight) Blaster, Slugthrower, ACP, Pulse, etc.

Also, iconic movie weapons such as the EE-3, Westar-34 and DL-44 because I think it's important to recognize some of of the fantastic art that the movies brought us.

Also keep in mind that the artist making the weapons (being me) doesn't have much to do with the actual "RPG" features of the mod, I'll design them in addition to the art I do, but the actual creation and implementation of those types of features relies on the coders, so me making updates to the weapons doesn't actually take away from how fast the rest of JKG is developed.

eezstreet, Aldro Koon, Smoo and 1 other like this

Is this still being developed? What are the odds of a online RPG coming from this mod? I get that there are 4 phases but is it wishful thinking at this point to reach the last one?

Wouldnt it have been easier to just reduce the scope? Rather then a ton of weapons and updates to them, putting focus on only quest-rpg-inventory-32 players-progression system (no more) and let people kinda do their own thing (think Lugormod meets DayZ-ish).

A mod similar to MB2 in terms of scale mightve been more likely to pull off. But the whole MMO aspect makes it seem too big. Couldnt the focus have been placed at getting the RPG aspect to work online with 32 players and then release updates to update guns and such rather than doing it the opposite way?

Im really talking out of my ass now, I just wish this mod the best. Obviously im no developer :P

The other problem Silverfang didn't go into great detail with is that while most of the RPG elements depend on the coders, the elements of the game such as the weapons you mentioned don't really need coders at all.  So, it'd be dumb for the rest of the devs to sit around and twiddle their thumbs just cause the coders haven't finished something.  So Silverfang can keep producing weapons, models, etc, while we work on the code.  I think people fear that we're somehow spending our "man hours" on "frivolous" stuff like more guns, but that's really not the case, I for example have never done any models for the game, just code.  As far as your question, "What are the odds of a online RPG coming from this mod?", I'm going to say 20% (that's being extremely generous)  "I get that there are 4 phases but is it wishful thinking at this point to reach the last one?" Probably, but we're not doing this necessarily for the end result.  "Wouldnt it have been easier to just reduce the scope?" Yes, in fact that's what we did a few years ago when we realized we were biting off too much at once.  This is why we introduced the phase system:

1. Beta Versus release, get out what we had.  Prove to peeps we actually had something and weren't just scamming everyone.

2. Versus - Improve gameplay and make an actually functioning game that'd be just as good or better than something like Call of Duty.  This provides a solid foundation for game mechanics and other systems to be introduced later on.  *Note, we are here.

3. RPG - Add rpg elements such as quests, dialogue trees, instances, party system, leveling system, item progression system, etc.

4. LMO - Make the game support larger amounts of players (64-120+) on multiple servers tied to a universal account system.  Large maps, extensive quests, get sued by EA, win suit, obtain magic starwars license, make money off it, etc.  *Note some parts of this were jokes.

Each phase builds upon the previous phases and, in the event we fail to reach later phases, we can still finish earlier ones and still have a fun game to play.

Edited by Darth Futuza
Mert-K likes this

JKG Developer

Actually phase 2 was originally meant to be a sandbox RPG, limited features in terms of RPG and no over-arching quest storyline, mostly just instance-type quests and, would take place mostly on Tatooine and partially on Coruscant with some ship interiors (such as the Cargo Heist teased in Dev Diary #26).

Whether or not that's the direction we're heading now is up in the air.

Actually phase 2 was originally meant to be a sandbox RPG, limited features in terms of RPG and no over-arching quest storyline, mostly just instance-type quests and, would take place mostly on Tatooine and partially on Coruscant with some ship interiors (such as the Cargo Heist teased in Dev Diary #26).

Whether or not that's the direction we're heading now is up in the air.

Ya, I changed my description since basically nothing on the github issue list deals with the RPG elements at the moment.  In other words it isn't the focus at the moment.  That being said, a lot of RPG elements are done and or very close to being ready.  For example dialogue quests basically works.

JKG Developer

Originally the goal was something like this:

Phase 1 - Versus, this would be the PvP element of the main game (We are here)

Phase 2 - CO-OP, instanced dungeons that represent the multiplayer part of PvE (80% chance of completion)

Phase 3 - RPG, large worlds for singleplayer PvE. (40% chance of completion)

Phase 4 - MMORPG, online server registration, more planets, single account system, multiple characters on the same account (20% chance of completion)

Expansions - Anything beyond phase 4 (space combat? more planets?)

Aldro Koon, Smoo and Mert-K like this