Intro and a few mod questions

Raven

Hi everyone. First, I'd like to say a big thank you to everyone here. I've learned a lot about modding for JKA and most of the answers have been easy to find.

I found a pack of weapons ripped from Mass Effect and have been working on converting them to JKA. The tools and tutorials have been very helpful to figure out formats, tags, workflow, etc. Not sure if I can release them because of questionable 'porting' issues but will check into that when the time comes. Unless someone wants to throw that answer in here...

Here are two of my questions in one photo:

th_jasp%202015-09-28%2013-37-11-18_zpshj

Is there a way to reposition the NPC's off hand or is it just part of the weapon ready animation? It's not a huge problem but I'd like to fix it if possible.

Next question: I plan to make a new scope overlay with the area outside the sight picture blurred to make it look out-of-focus. Any ideas on how to accomplish that? I'm guessing it would involve an alpha channel of some sort but not sure how to actively blur the environment while keeping it visible.

Last one for now: My GF finds it easier to aim with laser sights instead of a reticle, so I'm wondering if it's possible to add the trip mine's laser beam effect to a gun model without coding. Maybe a tag of some sort, like the muzzle flash? I found a mod called Gunslinger's Academy on another site which has working laser sights but so far haven't figured out how they did it because it's not working on my PC. I know which textures to use, but not how to create the effect in-game.

I'd really appreciate any help, especially if I've missed a tutorial somewhere.

Without coding? Nope. Blur requires coding as well, and quite a bit of it.

And you're right about the animations, that's just how it works, there's no dynamic posing of the hands. What's worse, the animation is shared between all (or at least most) of the weapons, so you can't just change it for that one (without coding).

And in my opinion that's clearly not acceptable for hosting on JKHub, I find any use of existing models/textures beyond getting the dimensions of your recreation right questionable. (And you may even get in trouble for a complete recreation due to Intellectual Property rights... but it's a good deal less likely, especially with small mods.)

@ mrwonko:

I was almost certain that I couldn't publicly release the models because they are directly ripped from another game. Thank you for confirming that. I'll keep them for personal use and make my own models/textures for any future mods. I was originally using them only for learning experience anyway. It's faster to convert rather than scratch-build when learning a new process. Don't worry, I always ask permission and credit original authors if using someone else's work.

As for the blur effect, I was thinking of using some sort of semi-transparent overlay in cropcircle2 to break up the background. Maybe I can come up with something that will work.

So that leaves the laser sight question... Anyone have ideas?

@ mrwonko:

I was almost certain that I couldn't publicly release the models because they are directly ripped from another game. Thank you for confirming that. I'll keep them for personal use and make my own models/textures for any future mods. I was originally using them only for learning experience anyway. It's faster to convert rather than scratch-build when learning a new process. Don't worry, I always ask permission and credit original authors if using someone else's work.

As for the blur effect, I was thinking of using some sort of semi-transparent overlay in cropcircle2 to break up the background. Maybe I can come up with something that will work.

So that leaves the laser sight question... Anyone have ideas?

Without coding, you can do a scope working on alpha channel on png \ tga format, and working about shader files. the original texture used by engine for scope of tenloss repeater are into gfx/2d folder :) if instead you want to do a scope for all first person view of all weapons... sorry is not possible without coding. :\