how work weather zones?

Go to solution Solved by Didz,

Hello i am open that because i have finished to do a retexture and re-edit of the map t2_rancor. basically there is a cave with a star, and outside, the valley of the entery of the hutt lair, has differents rock textures, and a dark sky night and the heavy rain with lightning and misty cloud with fx_rain entity used.

i take into the valley terrain a lake of water and i place 2 inside box, contained into weather box shader.

one is intoi the cave part of the map. the other into the lake, on the underwater part (because is not possible that rain efx is falling also inside the water XD )

when i build the map and i place into game and i loading, appears "warning, no weather zone encontured, generating" and map load, and work perfectly. but, if i reload the map with the  file

.WEATHER, if is load by game, by menu, or by a savegame, the weathering zone no works more, and rains also inside the water and the cave. how can i fix it?

i tryied with

an inside brush, with an outside brush and a weather brush, but in this case map crash loading and giving me error about inside and outside shader that touch each others. :(

now can i build a decent weather zone for the map?

• Solution

A brush with the weatherzone shader should encompass any inside or outside brushes you have. Make this a misc_weatherzone entity brush. Make sure there's some padding of at least 16 units between the edges of the weatherzone and any inside/outside brushes inside it.

You can only use EITHER Inside brushes OR Outside brushes. You can't use both! Either place Inside brushes in area you want to shelter from weather, or place Outside brushes in areas you want weather to affect. The weather engine snaps inside/outside areas to a grid of 64, so make sure you align these brushes to the 64 grid in the map.

Asgarath83 likes this

A brush with the weatherzone shader should encompass any inside or outside brushes you have. Make this a misc_weatherzone entity brush. Make sure there's some padding of at least 16 units between the edges of the weatherzone and any inside/outside brushes inside it.

You can only use EITHER Inside brushes OR Outside brushes. You can't use both! Either place Inside brushes in area you want to shelter from weather, or place Outside brushes in areas you want weather to affect. The weather engine snaps inside/outside areas to a grid of 64, so make sure you align these brushes to the 64 grid in the map.

Thanks for explanation Didz! i fix this soon! ;)

mmm for my map there is a lake and a cave region... i think i will place simply 2 weather zone entities with insides brushes: 1 below the water level of lake, for avoid that rain fall also inside water; the other inside the cave.with ruins. :)