Some cvar questions (basic and JA++)

NukeDukem

On my journey to get a most suitable config for my JA++ LAN server I’ve read through all the sites I could find regarding JA++ (and basic server cvars).

I’ve also tried to comment every cvar in the config, but I couldn’t find a description for the following ones.

Does anyone know what these settings do?

set sv_floodProtect "1"

set g_allowDuelSuicide "1"

set g_stepSlideFix "1"

set g_allowNPC "1"

What are effectively the effects of the following cvars and which are the "best practice" values for them?

set g_saberLocking "1" //0 disables 1 enables saber locks

set g_saberLockFactor "7" //sets the probability of a saber lock

What does this cvar do?
japp_ammapAnyGametype

If this is set to 0, wouldn’t it be then possible to switch from a FFA to a duel map through map voting?

How does ledge grabbing work? :)
japp_allowLedgeGrab "1"

Client cvar:

Is there any known disadvantage for using this cvar with a 4:3 screen?

set cg_fovAspectAdjust "1" // adjust fov for widescreen aspect ratio

Is there a more “comfortable” option for the clients to configure a key for the grappling hook or the jetpack (besides the bind command in the console)?

I’ve found this on the net (but couldn’t find it in the setup menu):

Benefits of JA++ As a user:

It can do everything JA+ can do user wise. It has the ability to make all the console commands be in the Setup menu nice and organized. No more looking around for the arcane commands!

It would be great if someone can and would like to help me with the answers :)

set sv_floodProtect "1" // throttles the rate of client commands if enabled (can help to avoid chat spam)

set g_allowDuelSuicide "1" // pretty self-explanatory, can the /kill command be used in a duel?

set g_stepSlideFix "1" // I think this has to do with friction when players are standing on each other but I'm not sure

set g_allowNPC "1" // simply, are NPCs allowed to be spawned in the game? (/npc spawn jawa)

Can't tell you about any of the saber locking stuff or the JA++ ones. No idea if japp_ammapAnyGametype relates to voting or using an admin command.

You can set cg_fovAspectAdjust to whatever feels comfortable to your playing. A narrow FOV is of course disadvantageous because you have less view, but it's completely up to how you like it. Leaving it at "1" means it'll be suited for 4:3 screens. You only need to change it really if you have a wide screen.

cg_fovAspectAdjust is either enabled or disabled (0 or 1). It's hard to describe what it does exactly. When it's enabled, it'll adjust the value you have set in cg_fov so that the field-of-view doesn't appear stretched.

cg_fovAspectAdjust was first introduced by LordHavoc for the DarkPlaces engine and more detailed information can be found here: http://www.quakeworld.nu/forum/topic/53/what-does-your-qw-look-like/page/30#56610

g_saberlocking stablishes saber locks, like in the movies

g_saberlockfactor stablishes the probability

japp_ammapAnyGametype 1 allows you to change to maps that aren't in a certain gametype. For example, it allows you to change using AMMAP FFA MP/CTF1

CTF1 isn't a FFA map, but with this cvar you can play it in FFA or any othergametype

japp_allowledgegrab is to allow to grab when you are reaching a roof or something with your hands. It was enabled in regular JA+ back then.

cg_fovAspectAdjusts adjusts fov aspect ratio so that the image you see isn't badly stretched.

I am hosting Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy servers for free up to 8 servers. Contact me if you are in need of a server for your community. 🙂

japp_ammapAnyGametype allows admins to use ammap command on any map even if it's not supported by the current gametype.

japp_allowLedgeGrab allows grabbing on to ledges you can't normally reach by jumping. It's activated by holding space and facing the ledge you want to grab - like a regular wall grab, but near the top of the wall.

Thank you very much for your kind help to all of you :)

It really helped me to understand the whole thing.

What would be a good/"best practice" value for this cvar:

set g_saberLockFactor

So only one question left :)

Is there a more “comfortable” option for the clients to configure a key for the grappling hook or the jetpack (besides the bind command in the console)?

I’ve found this on the net (but couldn’t find it in the setup menu):

“Benefits of JA++ As a user: It can do everything JA+ can do user wise. It has the ability to make all the console commands be in the Setup menu nice and organized. No more looking around for the arcane commands!”

1) Is there a more “comfortable” option for the clients to configure a key for the grappling hook or the jetpack (besides the bind command in the console)?

2) I’ve found this on the net (but couldn’t find it in the setup menu):

“Benefits of JA++ As a user: It can do everything JA+ can do user wise. It has the ability to make all the console commands be in the Setup menu nice and organized. No more looking around for the arcane commands!”

1) if it is not in "Commands", the only way is to bind in the console. The other solutions are :

- editing the menu to add the hook command

- make an autoexec.cfg inwhich you put the hook and jetpack binds.

2) this is the ingame's setup menu and not the main menu's setup menu. There is all setup to change a lot of things : fov, color of shield, chatbox,....

A really nice work from Razor.

Thank you for your quick replies :)

How can I add commands to the main/config menu?

Do I just have to add a line to a config file?

If I would add the two bind commands to my autoexec.cfg - which are the comamnds for the hook and the jetpack?

Just one last additional question :D

I've found a guide on the net where the flip kick is mentioned:

"FLIP KICK
-Alt kick (when enemy is in front and behind)"

So then the following JA++ cvar means that there is always a flip kick and it just changes the style, right?

japp_flipKick [default: 0]
Enable JK2 style flipkick

japp_flipKick is a boolean value, so 0 or 1

I wish I could add command aliases like +grapple but I had to remove that when I added OpenJK support.

At the moment, grapple is "+button12", jetpack is simply "jetpack"

So here comes the feedback from our yesterday's LAN party :)

JA++ was (and will be at our future LAN parties) really great fun :winkthumb:

Two questions occurred:

- sometimes two or four empty frames appeared simultaneously in the (upper) middle of the screen - any ideas what could that be? Is this perhaps connected with the quake 3 style rewards (cg_drawRewards "1")?

- if someone starts a vote for a new map/map change, the others gets a "no vote in progress" message when the vote yes - any ideas?

Circa likes this

Hi Razor,

once again thank you :)

So normally the empty frames/boxes would be reward icons, right?

I'll give the ent rewards a try then :winkthumb:

Ah ok - I thought maybe the voting thing is a configure problem caused by me :P