.ase files and how to use them ?

Hello !

I found some .ase files in the pk3 of a map.

I opened it with notepad ans saw that it is a little like a .map file.

I made some research on JKHUB forum and tutotials but did not find about .ase files.

I tried to add a .ase with a "classname" "misc_model_health_power_converter" but it did not work.

I would know if I can use them for a map with entity modding or if they can only be added with mapping.

In the case it can be only used with mapping, could someone convert it into a md3 for me ?

The map is http://jediknight3.filefront.com/file/Mercenary_Battle_V2;92772

and the .ase is models/merc_battlev2/starmap_armthing.ase

Thank you

:)

As you noticed, you can actually just read the file since it's in plain text. Hence the name - Ascii Scene Export. It's a simple file format for static models.

The format is supported by the map editor and Q3Map2, the compiler; Jedi Academy however does not support it. This is not a problem when using misc_model to place them since Q3Map2 will handle them, but they don't work as misc_model_static, misc_model_health_power_converter et al. and thus can't be used for BSP editing.

Since they get embedded in the .bsp file by Q3Map2 you don't actually have to include them in your .pk3 file; they're like the .map in this regard.

okay... :mellow:

and could someone convert this ase into a md3 for me ? :wub: (don't know how to do)

In Blender You can import ase and export it to the MD3 model. The one problem i remember was that the blender doesnt import the textures for ase model ...