Texture Art

When I create textures I always start out 4x bigger than I need to.
I create everything then, try to generally detail things, and then downgrade it.
Even though details will blur a bit, it will ironically work better for the eyes.
So that's a tip I can give you :P

Hand textured. I have no access to AO maps as the model is from ~2004. Just to be clear- the portion I textured is the yellow-gold part. This was originally a 512x512 texture that I upscaled to 2048x2048. I've already applied one Unsharp Mask to the texture, but I can apply more.

I hand-textured by using a gradient, followed by dodge and burn with soft brushes to increase contrast a little bit. I then applied low levels of burn with smoke and grunge brushes to give a bit of dirt. I then applied higher levels of dodging with a grunge brush set to make it appear as though the gun was improperly cleaned.

This is a gold skin of a Colt Python. I will also do a silver skin. This model is considered a "suspect weapon" for a mod project. There will also be SWAT weapons, including an UMP 45 which will appear cleaner. There's a specular shader applied to the barrel, but not the other silver bits. I will post a picture of the original gun and skin once I get home. I have no idea how to proceed with the grip, which is a matte black, wooden or ivory grip, depending on which skin.