r_dLightBacks and r_dLightStyle

Hi again,

I've been searching for increasing the lightsaber light. We all know that dynamiclight (0/1) disable/enable the light from the lightsaber and its reflection on the surfaces. Been searching a bit, and found that two cvars (r-dlightbacks and r_dlightstyle). The first one is set to 1 by default, as I remember (I can't check it right now). If I set it 0, the light from the lightsaber is slightly less intense. But I want the contrary: increase its intensity.

I've been testing a little, but r_dLightStyle seems that has no effect whatever the value I set. And r_dLightBacks only admitt two values: 0 or 1, and as I said, 0 decrease it, and I would like to increase it, not decrease it. So, as I see, it's possible to change the lightsaber light intenisty with the r_dLightBacks. Just not in the way I would like...

Do you guys know any other value or cvar or workaround to increase lightsaber light intensity? Maybe a mod... Of course, I've been searching, but didn't find anything (and I can hardly believe it... seems that anybody else before me has been interested in this tweak,  :huh: )

I see Raz0r... thanks for the answer.  Actually, I think that we can control it... but just a little and only to lower it. As I said, we can set r_dLightBacks 0 and the light intensity decreases. Set it back to 1 and you get the vanilla lightining back again. Not what I was looking for. 

Well, if you say there is no other cvar to control it, that's enough for me. Thanks for the help!

Neither of the two cvars you mentioned actually affects the true intensity of the dlights.

r_dlightBacks 1 causes it to skip rendering the dlight if the backface of the dlight is not visible.  This feature was stripped from MP by raven software back before the game was released for supposed hacking.  (So MP acts like it is "0" which always checks the backface)  Probably going to make this the case for SP too at some point in OJK.

r_dlightStyle 0/1 uses more expensive extra pass for rendering the dlights if set to 1.  Effect probably shouldn't be that visible at all like you said.  Default is 1.

Aidor likes this

Thanks ensiform... I'm starting to doubt seriously what my eyes see (do you remember my question about the "slower lasers shots" in JA?), cause as I said, when I set r_dlightbacks 0 I see a lower intenisty in the lightsabers lights (not just in my "back" not rendered). Just un SP, didn't test it in MP. But you guys have a lot of experience tweaking JK, a lot more than me, so I'm going to start seriously doubt what I see. And what you said (r_dlightBacks 1 causes it to skip rendering the dlight if the backface of the dlight is not visible), well, it makes sense if we look to that cvar's name.

Actually, I'm using redsauru's mod to play JA SP (http://jkhub.org/topic/2480-sp-customisation-stuff/page-10), which includes SFXsabers feature. If I enable this SFXsabers feature, it seems that the lightsabers lights are more intense (hurra!), but it seems, cause as I said, I'm starting to doubt it seriously. Maybe this redsaurus's mod change something about lights and the r_dlightbacks cvar. I'll check what happens if I change that cvar in the "vanilla OJK".