Trying to hunt down a particular sound file

Ive been trying to hunt down a particular sound that I really disliked in JKA, specifically the explosion sound used when explosive crates are destroyed, as well as in a few cutscenes. You can hear it here, at about 28:10-28:15

I always thought it sounded like a bunch of pans being dropped on the floor, only less forceful :rolleyes:

But I haven't had any luck in tracking down what sound file it comes from. I was wondering if anyone who has done sound work before (or anyone who has worked on the games source code) can identify what files are used in it? Is it a single audio file, or several being played over top of one another?

I'm not quite sure, but you might get information on sounds played/loaded if you set developer 1 with cheats enabled? Maybe that's just MP though... If it's a script, try enabling icarus debugging as well... was it "icarus log"? g_debugicarus? something along those lines, ask auto-completion maybe.

BruceJohnJenner likes this

I'm not quite sure, but you might get information on sounds played/loaded if you set developer 1 with cheats enabled? Maybe that's just MP though... If it's a script, try enabling icarus debugging as well... was it "icarus log"? g_debugicarus? something along those lines, ask auto-completion maybe.

Are any of the ingame sounds set up as scripts (ie loading a couple of wav files & playing them in a certain order to simplify coding them)? If they are that might make this easier.

I would like to overwrite the current sound with something that sounds like an explosion, would anyone be interested in beta testing for me? All they would really need to do is play the sp game start to finish and make sure that the new sound doesn't sound out of place for the bouncing metal.