Hello from Jedi Outcast - the Movie!

Hey there!

We're a team of two, who love machinima and Jedi Outcast, and we decided to combine our passions and make a movie. Please check out our progress on our Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/JediOutcastTheMovie

Our goal is to knock out a trailer as soon as possible, and then push forward with our plans to make it feature length. Ridiculous amount of work, but we're dedicating it to a fallen hero - a friend who passed away who deserves no less a tribute. 

We've got a workflow that is pretty slick these days - took us a while to nail it down, but we've been able to port all maps, characters, and animation across to the Unreal Development Kit. Once the trailer is complete, we're going to transition to Unreal Engine 4. We've been working pretty much on our own the whole time, but a member here sent us a hello, so here we are! He suggested we use some of the excellent artwork created by modders. Up until this point, we've been using as much of the vanilla content from JO and JA as possible, with some additions of our own where required. However, we'd love to get the blessings of any modder here to use their awesome artwork. If this is you, please say hi!

And for anyone interested in how we make it happen, I'm more than happy to start documenting our workflow. I've been modding since Quake, and I learnt everything from fellow modders, so the love of sharing never left me. In fact, I owe my career as a teacher to modding, so feel free to demand tutorials from me :)

Kind regards - the Jedi Outcast Movie team

Hard not to like your comment! I've just made a post that explains our purpose behind creating the film in the thread mentioned above by Boothand - http://jkhub.org/topic/2413-jko-in-unreal-engine/page-6

Alas, work has slowed of late, mostly due to work commitments beyond, though the water is becoming calmer again, and we've almost completed our hi-res version of the Doomgiver, which will obviously feature in some new shots soon :)

therfiles likes this

Hi there, great to finally see you guys, I'm the guy who told you about the new models at your facebook page, you should be able to reach all the authors for the various models here. Good luck with your project guys, I think I speak for all of us when I say that we all wait patiently for your release of the movie.

DiamondDam likes this

We've got a workflow that is pretty slick these days - took us a while to nail it down, but we've been able to port all maps, characters, and animation across to the Unreal Development Kit. Once the trailer is complete, we're going to transition to Unreal Engine 4. 

This transition seems like a poor idea to me.  As someone familiar with both systems and who uses them extensively, I don't see the benefit.  I mean yes, UE4 is better, but if you're already working all that content in UDK, I don't see the point in moving to UE4.  Not only are you then having to pay monthly (or pay once and go without updates) for a license for the engine for every person working on your project, but you also will have to recreate almost everything you've done up to this point.  Seeing as how you are not using high detail assets or anything over-the-top I don't see where a free project like this is going to benefit from the move.

This transition seems like a poor idea to me.  As someone familiar with both systems and who uses them extensively, I don't see the benefit.  I mean yes, UE4 is better, but if you're already working all that content in UDK, I don't see the point in moving to UE4.  Not only are you then having to pay monthly (or pay once and go without updates) for a license for the engine for every person working on your project, but you also will have to recreate almost everything you've done up to this point.  Seeing as how you are not using high detail assets or anything over-the-top I don't see where a free project like this is going to benefit from the move.

It took me 2 days to convert all of the items from MB3's UDK, into UE4 including all entities, materials, levels, and rescaling of assets to the metric system. People have also already made conversion plugins in order to transfer items like light entities, cameras from matinee, and other things into UE4. Overall, it really isn't that daunting of a task as you make it sound. They had done a lot of work sure, and personally I agree with what you have said based on the amount of content I have personally seen of the project, but they can still benefit from it even after taking time for the conversion I believe. UE4 is a lot simpler in many respects, and might even allow them to do things they couldn't have prior thanks to blueprint being massively better than kismet and the editor functionality for level design being so much more fluid and standardized. It really is up to them though.

It took me 2 days to convert all of the items from MB3's UDK, into UE4 including all entities, materials, levels, and rescaling of assets to the metric system. People have also already made conversion plugins in order to transfer items like light entities, cameras from matinee, and other things into UE4. Overall, it really isn't that daunting of a task as you make it sound. They had done a lot of work sure, and personally I agree with what you have said based on the amount of content I have personally seen of the project, but they can still benefit from it even after taking time for the conversion I believe. UE4 is a lot simpler in many respects, and might even allow them to do things they couldn't have prior thanks to blueprint being massively better than kismet and the editor functionality for level design being so much more fluid and standardized. It really is up to them though.

I was unaware of the plugins for mantinee conversions and the like, as I've had no personal need to look into such a thing. I completely agree that UE4 is better in basically every respect, and that it would likely give them new options, it's like we've both said, they've done all this stuff already I think they'd just be setting themselves back. I mean I don't really care what they do, it's their project and given the nature of it I quite frankly don't care what becomes of it. But as a project manager, this seems like a bad call for something like this.